• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone use GPO live with a laptop?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone use GPO live with a laptop?

I am trying to understand how to get the sounds out of my laptop w/o using the mini output jack. Is it possible? Is there a USB connection that will allow me to run the sequenced program out and into an outboard mixer. I need the outboard mixer to mix down the vocals into the whole gameplan.

I want something a little more stable than the mini jack, if that's possible. I am thinking at least RCA if not 1/4 in or XLR.

Willard

Re: Anyone use GPO live with a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by willard View Post
    I am trying to understand how to get the sounds out of my laptop w/o using the mini output jack. Is it possible? Is there a USB connection that will allow me to run the sequenced program out and into an outboard mixer. I need the outboard mixer to mix down the vocals into the whole gameplan.

I want something a little more stable than the mini jack, if that's possible. I am thinking at least RCA if not 1/4 in or XLR.

Willard
    sure. something like a tascam us-122 should do the trick just fine, and not break the bank.

Hi, Willard - I've worked with GPO in combo with Sonar exclusively on my HP laptop for quite awhile now. Just as I had set up on my desk top computer, I'm using a USB audio/MIDI interface, like the Tascam Kelldammit suggested. I still have my US-122 hooked up to my desktop in case I want to work there, but over here at my 'top I have an Alesis io|2 which does the same thing, same under $150 price range.

They're great units, these boxes - and the market is crammed with them, all doing the same thing. Asio drivers, XLR microphone inputs, phantom power for condenser mikes, zero latency control, lines in and out, headphone jack with volume control, of course volume control for playback, and some, like the Alesis and Tascam, and have inserts for putting effects like compressors in-line. Even when you're not working on music, it's great to have a handy knob right there to control the volume of whatever you're listening to or watching online.

In short - It's what you need. Just hook up the audio out to an amp with speakers and you're set.

Randy B.

Thanks Rbrowser and Kelldammit for that advice. This 65 yr old dog is trying to learn new tricks.

I'd go with a FTP or 144 over the UA-1G. Preamps and inputs are useful things.

I use an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB... it's a cheap and simple interface that works well. Plugs into the system via USB and has two output jacks for left and right speakers. Those should jack directly into your sound board.

But I agree... no matter how well the headphone jack works, I prefer using a different output method.

Willard
    Just to clarify (maybe this was said already, but anyway): if the USB sound card you buy has an XLR-input with a Phantom (like most of the modern sound cards do), you don't need a separate "outboard mixer" - this sound card acts as one and can then input the vocals as well and you can output everything through the USB soundcard (both vocals and GPO sounds).
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Go Back to forum