• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Routing: GPO4, Behringer EG2180 Keyboard, Sampiltude Music Studio 14

Share/Bookmark

MIDI Routing: GPO4, Behringer EG2180 Keyboard, Sampiltude Music Studio 14

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand MIDI routing between sequencing software, VSTi's, and my keyboard. Does anyone know where I can find a general explanation of how all this works?

To be more specific:

My keyboard is sending on all MIDI channels.

In my sequencing software (Samplitude Music Studio 14) I have 16 tracks, each supposedly routed to a different instrument in the VSTi version of Garritan Personal Orchestra v4.

In the VSTi, I have 16 different instruments loaded.

When I select an instrument in GPO4 and click on its virtual keyboard, I hear notes from that instrument. But when I click on the individual tracks in Samplitude, instead of hearing just the instrument assigned to that track, I hear a whole bunch of them. Not all, but most. With my keyboard "firing on all thrusters" I would expect all instruments to be triggered, so this really has me stumped. Screenshot:

I followed the video tutorial (found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d75oIxP-7Tk) to set this up and he makes it look so easy. Of course, he doesn't actually say this will work with a MIDI keyboard and he only demonstrates it with the virtual keyboard built into GPO4.

Any insight into general MIDI software/hardware routing or how to understand/solve this specific problem would be very much appreciated.

-Ron T.

Re: MIDI Routing: GPO4, Behringer EG2180 Keyboard, Sampiltude Music Studio 14

I figured it out, but thanks for reading this thread and considering a reply.

-Ron T.

Glad you cleared up your issue, Ron.

I don't use Samplitude, but I imagine it works pretty much the way other sequencers do. Perhaps you could post your specific fix for other Samplitude users who might see this thread. It sounded from your post like a matter of not having individual MIDI channels set up quite right in your program.

But I'm actually here to give you an observation about your instrument list as seen in the screen shot:

--You're using the Player versions of some instruments - and I would suggest you at least experiment substituting those for the soloists. The Player instruments are much less realistic, have a more dull sound, and have fewer samples. They're meant for filling out an ensemble but not for being the leads in each category. There's no comparison, for instance, between the solo French Horn and the Player you're using here.

--You're using some brass Overlays without the brass instruments they're meant to compliment. You probably like the bright bell sound of those "instruments," but they are really intended to be used in parallel with the actual instruments. On their own they don't sound like any real instruments that exist.

Here's my method of using the Overlays, and I know it's what the programmers hand in mind:

--Record a brass track, say Trombone, using an example from your list. I'd use one of the actual Trombone soloists. Of course I have lots of MIDI CC1 data recorded for volume fluctuations.

--Copy that MIDI track and paste it into a new track which is connected to the Trombone Overlay. Erase all the CC1 data so the instrument is silent.

--Record new CC1 data on the Overlay track, keeping it silent most of the time, but swooping the volume up for forte passages, whenever I want the Trombone to ring out. Over-use spoils the effect. This track is there for when I want the brass player to really BLAT out on his instrument.

Try that!

Randy
    P.S. I guess you know that your Glock is on the same audio out as your Piano.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Glad you cleared up your issue, Ron.
    It sounded from your post like a matter of not having individual MIDI channels set up quite right in your program.
    Pretty much. I'm fairly new to all this MIDI stuff, so I feel almost like I've gone through a rite of passage today figuring this out.

What I was doing wrong was two things.

First, I didn't have the individual tracks' audio outs routed properly. I don't know the technical name, but it's that 1/2, 3/4, etc. numbering thing.

Second, I wasn't switching my keyboard's transmit channel.

So, it really wasn't a Samplitude thing; it was just me not knowing the basics of MIDI routing.

The Player instruments are much less realistic, have a more dull sound, and have fewer samples.
    Actually, my wife, who plays violin, was complaining about the sound of the strings.

They're meant for filling out an ensemble but not for being the leads in each category.
    You're right. That set-up was really just so I'd know if I was succeeding in getting different instruments on different tracks.

Here's my method of using the Overlays, and I know it's what the programmers hand in mind:
    I never thought of using the two together; I'll keep that in mind.

P.S. I guess you know that your Glock is on the same audio out as your Piano.
    Thanks. It isn't now.

Again, thanks for the response, Randy. You've given me far more to think about than you might imagine.

-Ron T.

Ron, it's follow-ups like yours that makes helping out on Gary's Forum a pleasure. You inspire me to give you some more tips:

Quote Originally Posted by rontarrant View Post
    ...First, I didn't have the individual tracks' audio outs routed properly. I don't know the technical name, but it's that 1/2, 3/4, etc. numbering thing.
    Those are the stereo pairs of each audio out, that's why there are always two numbers involved, left (1) and right (2).
    Second, I wasn't switching my keyboard's transmit channel.
    I bet Samplitude is the same as other programs in the following regard - you actually DON'T need to keep switching your keyboard's transmit channel. You put it on OMNI, then when you're recording on a MIDI track, the correct channel will be recorded because in Samplitude you will have set which channel that track is on. See?
    Actually, my wife, who plays violin, was complaining about the sound of the strings.
    With all due respect to GPO, it's likely your violinist wife will never be happy with the sound of the strings. Even the soloists are found to be wanting by a lot of people. There's a huge group of instruments in GPO, and that means that the number of samples for each one had to be limited. Those soloists will fare OK when used in conjunction with the group string patches, as you've started to do in the example you posted.

It's mainly in the woodwind family where you'll notice the soloists being more complex and lively sounding than the "players."

I never thought of using the two together; I'll keep that in mind.
    It really is a point of confusion for all GPO beginners, but the Overlays aren't meant to be instruments - they're like special effects. Bringing them in now and then, as I described earlier, really brings more life and drama to your brass tracks, but only if used sparingly. No instruments in real life sound like the Overlays do by themselves. Hearing them by themselves would be like trying to use only the reverberant echo of a piano instead of the instrument itself.

But the procedure isn't difficult - Just copy your brass tracks, and re-record the overlay volumes, as described earlier.

One more tip - since you're using a sequencing program, it's much easier to maintain the balance you want there in your software rather than trying to get it right only inside Aria. Just set some good levels where you can hear everything well, then fine-tune the balance in Samplitude.

Have fun, and come back with any questions.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum