• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Library Suggestion for Live Classical Use?

Share/Bookmark

Piano Library Suggestion for Live Classical Use?

Advice would be greatly appreciated regarding a suitable piano library for live classical use.

I have a recital coming up in a couple of weeks (solo double-bass) and my old portable rig for my accompanist really is not cutting it (we normally rehearse using a real piano).

Note that my computer resources would be limited - I do not have and cannot afford to purchase a laptop, and at best could convert an older Dell 2800 Pentium D for use with any library (if that absolutely will not cut it, I can possibly use a very non-portable, but much better, desktop).

The library must be usable for live playing, without the need for keyswitching, etc.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: Piano Library Suggestion for Live Classical Use?

Plenty of different options, especially sample-based pianos. Depends what kind of piano/sound you are looking for and how much you want to invest money. Modelled-based ones are more computer resource hungry.

There are a goup buy going on by the Imperfect Samples, which has
    a very nice sounding upright piano and baby grand piano, for intimate playing
    http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/store/index.php. I can recommend these but as said, better try/listen demos first.

Harry

I own Garritan Steinway and I really like the sound and the expressivity. Check it out. There are separate versions and it depends where and how you will use it (speaker setup, room, etc), but the version with the "Under the lid"-micing position is worth having. I believe this is the middle version. Then you can use others if you wish, but this is a good starting position. There's also a micing position from Player's perspective available, which is interesting and worth trying out, but I believe it's only available in the Pro-version.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

The Garritan Steinway loads up super fast, and does not require a massively powerful computer.

For just about any music it is top notch, especially classical because of it's mic positions.

I recommend it because I have heard lots of others. The accuracy of tuning smokes any other sample library available IMO.
    And no, I am not employed by Garritan Corp.
    Dan

The Garritan Steinway Basic version is a download for about $100. Very easy to use and will work fine on your system.

This piano is voiced for classical piano!

Jim

Thanks for the info. The Garritan looks interesting.

Fortunately, I had a long talk with my accompanist today and she felt that things could at least get to an acceptable place with my existing equipment, before the actual recital date.

I will need to make the change at some point, but at least I can now do it without having to make a quick knee-jerk decision - a better way to go about things in the long run.

Thanks again.

Wanted to post an update as far as what ended up happening...

It turned out that the main problem had an easy solution. The trouble traced to the piano bench/stand combination and the inability to get them to the right playing height (the keyboard stand would not go low enough). We have ended up using a different stool, one that enables my accompanist to maintain correct playing position/posture. That has made a huge difference in terms of overall sound.

One cannot underestimate the importance of proper playing position/posture.

Go Back to forum