• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another beginner with questions...

Share/Bookmark

Another beginner with questions...

Hi,

I've used Finale over the past 5 years, but haven't done a lot of "composing" myself. I just upgraded to Finale 2010 and bought the GPO to go with it.

My main goal is to be able to create some basic orchestration to go with some of the piano solos that I play.

I plan on using a few strings, a harp (maybe), and some trumpets to start - nothing too extreme.

I can get my score into Finale, but I'm at a loss as to what to do next to get something produced with GPO.

Is there a tutorial someplace that will help me with this critical step?

Thank you!

--Kent

Re: Another beginner with questions...

Hello Kent and a warm welcome to our forums,

I use Finale 2010 and have the full GPO4 with Aria.

Quote Originally Posted by kentiler View Post

Is there a tutorial someplace that will help me with this critical step?

Thank you!

--Kent
    Yes .. there are several tutorials in Finale to help with playing back your score using GPO4. Go to 'Help-Finale Tutorials'. When the online manual opens, select 'Finale Tutorials' in the left window. Scroll down to 'Tutorial 6: Playback'. There are several there that should help you in particular the 'Using the Aria Player with Garritan Instruments'.

Quote Originally Posted by kentiler View Post
    I can get my score into Finale, but I'm at a loss as to what to do next to get something produced with GPO.
    Just to offer you a very quick start for GPO4 playback. If you are already able to get a score into Finale, all you need to do is to use Finale's 'Setup Wizard' for your score. Using this will provide you with a score ready to playback with all instruments assigned. You just need to enter your notes, articulations, expressions etc etc then click on playback and voila.

I must add, however, that the above is a just start. You will not get the performances that you hear on the Garritan demos or in our Christmas CDs. To achieve these performances will involve a lot of work and, inevitably, a learning curve. Some members of our forums manage this directly in Finale but, personally, I find I have to take a MIDI file from Finale into Sonar to achieve the performance I want. However, using the 'Setup Wizard' will give you an instant playback result. You will be able to hear your score and this is a start.

Hope this has helped.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thank you! I'll give that a shot later today!

--Kent

I forgot to add ..

Just in case you are unfamiliar with Finale's 'Setup wizard', you can find this within Finale at:

'File - New - Document with Setup Wizard'

Just follow the on-screen prompts to arrive at your blank score with the Aria Player ready and all the instruments you selected assigned and ready to play when you have entered your score.

The 'Human Playback' feature in Finale will also be ready to interprate the various articulations, expressions and other performance markings you apply to your score.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum