• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More Notion files with the Steinway

Share/Bookmark

More Notion files with the Steinway

Greetings, All...

I decided to tweak my first N-Tempo performance of the Roger-Ducasse prelude

Roger-Ducasse Prelude 1

and also do 3 more
    Roger-Ducasse Prelude 2
    Roger-Ducasse Prelude 3
    Roger-Ducasse Prelude 4

This is a lot of fun - once we can more easily edit things like CC (manual entry on a step-entered non-live file)
    and call MIDI patch changes as well as a few other things, this software will rival anything I can think of for
    control and expressiveness combined with ease of use. Bravo!

I have been a staunch user of Finale for 16 years + , most recently enamored with Human Playback in the last few iterations of the product...

This software requires a bit more work to get an expressive performance, but if the developers continue their current pace of improvements, the gap will narrow quickly. I also see Notion fast becoming a viable replacements for the hybrid notation/MIDI tweakability that was so attractive in Overture.

Enjoy

(oh, and once again, my hat tips to RBowser - you've fully converted me to this more intimate acoustic)

Notion files with the Steinway!

So, a "bump" for one of my more recent posts, another taste of my fondness for obscure music.

Thanks to Randy for this Listening Room festival idea!

Cheers

- J

Re: More Notion files with the Steinway

Hi, Jon!
    Long time, no speak or post with you!

These are GREAT pieces--I assume the composer is post-Ravel or his contemporary? (OK--I just googled him.)
    We both knew about Nikolai Kapustin, but Roger-Ducasse is a new one on me--THANKS for this ear-opener I'm off to IMSLP for scores!!

Needless to say, your performance is stellar as well.

You've also made me want to re-evaluate Notion as a tool for performance. I'm still using Overture while Notion 3 sits on the hard drive rarely used. I have no keyboard chops so I always use some sort of step-entry, then perform any surgery I need to on the notes. So you find Notion easier than Overture?

Thanks for a great contribution to the "Listening Room Summerfest."

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

This is a lot of fun - once we can more easily edit things like CC (manual entry on a step-entered non-live file)
    and call MIDI patch changes as well as a few other things, this software will rival anything I can think of for
    control and expressiveness combined with ease of use.
    Aside from compliments for the fine performance, we all Notion users are still waiting for the availability of deep midi tweakening. With Sibelius fading away, Finale on sale... What's up with the Third Little Pig?
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Finale on sale...

correction. Finale is not "for sale".
    some group made an offer to buy it out.
    it was an unwelcome offer. (ie: MakeMusic had never presented itself as being "for sale")

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    correction. Finale is not "for sale".
    some group made an offer to buy it out.
    it was an unwelcome offer. (ie: MakeMusic had never presented itself as being "for sale")
    I'm sorry.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Giiiiiiiiiiiwro_jon! Hi! Glad you like the Listening Room Festival idea, and that you've joined in.

These Preludes sound simply wonderful. I can't imagine better renderings - Organic sounding performances very nicely recorded. Beautiful.

...my hat tips to RBowser - you've fully converted me to this more intimate acoustic
    Ha! Well, good - The intimacy of these recordings is one of the elements that makes them sound so good. That's a believable sound of a reasonably sized venue, just the way we like to hear a piano solo. Glad you like your results - you should!

Your original text from 2 1/2 years ago is still in that opening post, right? You say:

...once we can more easily edit things like CC...if the developers continue...
    What's the status now? Has Notion become the more advanced notation program you hoped for?

GREAT to see you, Jon - thanks so much for the music.

Randy

Good to see you back in town, Jon!

I listened to these in the dark, of course (fittingly). I know you're
    aware of my particular enjoyment of small preludes like this -- and
    these are, as is your habit, quite well done.

Much enjoyed!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Hi, Jon!
    Long time, no speak or post with you!

These are GREAT pieces--I assume the composer is post-Ravel or his contemporary? (OK--I just googled him.)
    We both knew about Nikolai Kapustin, but Roger-Ducasse is a new one on me--THANKS for this ear-opener I'm off to IMSLP for scores!!

Needless to say, your performance is stellar as well.

You've also made me want to re-evaluate Notion as a tool for performance. I'm still using Overture while Notion 3 sits on the hard drive rarely used. I have no keyboard chops so I always use some sort of step-entry, then perform any surgery I need to on the notes. So you find Notion easier than Overture?

Thanks for a great contribution to the "Listening Room Summerfest."

Jim
    Thanks, Snor,

I've been hiding under my rock lately, going thru employment transition, job search, and now moving (whew)
    It has been a wild-and-wooley 4 or 5 months... I hope to post more in coming weeks and months, but I know moving, starting a new job and getting settled in a new place will probably slow that a bit a first.

I'm not sure if Notion is better than Overture yet, there is still need for more MIDI-tweaking tools. I have been able to get a decent sound out of it simply by using dynamics (and with GPO, a ruleset that triggers things similar to Finale). One of the things that helped here was to have a "conducting" feature, i.e. one can control the tempo by tapping (and also then can go back and manually edit the resulting tempo changes). If one can get the dynamics and articulations to behave right, it is actually easier to get a realistic sound than Overture. Rumor has it in the Notion forum that v4 is coming soon (notice I did not say "imminent") It is the fervent hope of users that the new version will add further MIDI tweakability

Cheers!

- J

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Giiiiiiiiiiiwro_jon! Hi! Glad you like the Listening Room Festival idea, and that you've joined in.

These Preludes sound simply wonderful. I can't imagine better renderings - Organic sounding performances very nicely recorded. Beautiful.

<snip>

What's the status now? Has Notion become the more advanced notation program you hoped for?

GREAT to see you, Jon - thanks so much for the music.

Randy
    Glad you enjoyed them, Randy!

See my notes to Snorlax above about Notion... one great thing lately has been the advent of an iPad version... now computer notiation/composing is far more portable (and it exports to music XML, so I can open in finale if I wish!)

Glad you enjoyed the pieces...

- J

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast