• Register
  • Help

Topic: how do i get GPO4 to work with Cubase, Sibelius ?!?

Share/Bookmark

how do i get GPO4 to work with Cubase, Sibelius ?!?

I bought GPO4 and just installed it, activated it. But now I have no idea how to get it to work with Sibelius 6 and also Cubase 5. Any help appreciated.

I can add an instrument in Cubase 5 to a track and choose Aria Player (I added a path to GPO from the Cubase Devices: VST3) but no instruments are showing up.

I have absolutely no idea how to get GPO4 to work with Sibelius.

This is a very very confusing piece of software to install and configure. One might think it would be designed to search one's PC for Cubase and Sibelius and automagically do whatever is needed to show up as new instruments for both these popular programs.

I have all these beautiful instruments but no way at this point to make any practical use of them in my sequencer (Cubase 5) or notator (Sibelius 6). Any help greatly appreciated.
    -randall

Re: how do i get GPO4 to work with Cubase, Sibelius ?!?

Half way there! I got GPO4 working with Cubase. Confusing because there are TWO .dll files in
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
    folder that show up in Cubase when choose a Garritan instrument-- one is for ARIA x64 and the other is for ARIA Multi x64; the multi is the one that when selected as a virtual instrument in Cubase pulls up automagically the ARIA player, where I figured out to click on the channel 1 and choose an instrument. Then I could hear it and record it using my midi keyboard. Garritan take note-- that is really confusing for end users, having the two different .dll files there only one which works.

Now if I can just figure out how to get GPO4 sounds (instruments) to be available as instruments in Sibelius 6. Any help appreciated!
    randall

GPO4 with Sibelius:

1.) Make sure you have Sib 6.1 - it's a free update if you have 6.

2.) Under Playback, click on Playback Devices

3.) From the left column, click ARIA player, hit Activate

4.) ARIA now shows up in the Active Devices column on the right; click on it, and choose the GPO4 soundset

5.) Hit save, and close.

6.) Open/start a score - for each instrument in the Mixer (hit M) open the strip underneath the instrument's name, and choose ARIA; from there, you can choose which instrument you want.

You should be good to go.

If it is an installation issue, such as where the dll file goes, check on the Sibelius forum - they will answer your questions, and there are Help articles, as well.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Unfortunately Aria Player is not listed in the left column when I bring up the Sibelius 6.1 Playback: Devices. I do have Sibelius 6.1.0 build 14, as shown when I go into the Sibelus Help About menu.

EDIT -- Thank you for your post, it ultimately helped me get it working. Above problem solved. No thanks to the GPO installation. Does not help that not ONE but FOUR DIFFERENT .dll Aria Player files (single, multi, x86, x64) are installed during GPO4 installation, and you have to find the right one, and copy only that one into the Sibelius VST Plugins folder or the Aria Player does not show up for use in the Playback devices.

Unbelievable how complicated this is (and I am no noob to computers-- been using and programming computers since the 1970s, done web and C++ programming, use dual boot Winblows and Linux systems, but this is ridiculous). I wish I had never purchased GPO at this point, I should have just stuck with the built in sounds of Sibelius, and gone with Halion Symphonic Orchestra ($99 upgrade offer from the trial version that came with Cubase 5). It is so damn complex just to pick an instrument from GPO4 from within Cubase 5 now compared to choosing instruments when I had HSO, and what a pain the arse to figure out how to get GPO4 working with Sibelius 6.1 One would think for software like this the manufacturer/developer would program it to seemlessly and automagically integrate during installation. Alas that is not the case.

I wonder if I can return GPO4. I have activated it, but if if checks by internet for being valid, I wonder if I can return it to the vendor for credit and just wipe it off my PC? Anybody know about this? I paid for something that should work, and at this point it does not work for my main reason for buying it (to use with Sibelius).
    ~randall

Randall,

I hope you don't give up - GPO4 is quite good, and a great value for the money. I'm on a Mac, so installation was "automatic" - I didn't have to tell Sibelius where to look. But again, if you ask over on the Sib board, you'll have an answer pronto, and the steps I gave you will work. I think the problem is that each of these programs/libraries has their own quirks/players/place where the files should go - and some of us (me) have some difficulty getting things in the right place. Once you do, though, it works pretty well.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

I am leaning towards keeping GPO4 now, been playing with it-- opening downloaded midi files of film music, opening into Sibelius, sounds nice. Once I configured a custom Playback in the Playback: Devices with GPO4 as the preferred (at top of list) library over Sibelius essentials, now playback defaults to GPO instruments. MIDI automagically plays with GPO instruments, sounds really nice.

Much simpler to use GPO in Sibelius now that it is configured, over Cubase 5; in Cubase I need to go through the Aria player for every single GPO instrument I want to add, somewhat of a hassle over the HSO that I had a trial period to check out, because HSO integrates seamlessly into Cubase. Might buy HSO also, not sure. At least GPO4 works in both Cubase and Sibelius. Most of my work will be in Sibelius.

Thank you again for all the help. Finally up and working. Will play with it more later.
    ~randall

Glad it's working! One final thought - now that you have it working, all the keyswitches can be triggered by using Technique Text - you want pizz., just write pizz, and it will do it automatically. And so forth...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

I am getting more impressed with GPO by the minute. And less impressed with Cubase 5. Well to be honest I love Cubase 5, what it can do, but I absolutely detest its use of USB dongles for antipiracy; I am completely legal all my software, but the concept is very annoying, bothers me on a level of principle.

Where does GPO4 come into that? Simply that I downloaded the x64 version of Reaper the other day, an alternative to Cubase, at a cost of only $60 (uncrippled free tial version), and I just got GPO4 to work easily with Reaper. Reaper does everything I want Cubase 5 to do, except that Reaper does not (yet) have a score editor like Cubase 5 does. But Reaper does have a video window, easily opens and plays my video files (had more hassles with that in Cubase 5 which costs a zillion times more). With Sibelius as my notation editor and for score composing, I may not have much use for the score editor in Cubase, though it is a nice feature to have of course, if needed. But Reaper, with its NON-use of a USB dongle, appeals to me far more than Cubase.

Reaper easily works with GPO4, seems have a nice reputation on the web as as great sequencer, has many themes out there for its GUI, plays video in a resizable window, has the piano roll view with MIDI editing, velocity , all that.

Cubase 5 might just become a paper weight, who knows. I might just switch over to Reaper, and Sibelius, give up on Cubase. GPO worked with Cubase, don't get me wrong. I just can't stand the USB dongle thing, heavy distrust, very very annoying.

Again, very very impressed with opening midi files off the web, into Sibelius 6.1, seeing Sibelius play beautiful midi file music using GPO4, and also easy addition of GPO4 to Reaper sequencing software.
    ~randall
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (x64)
    Quadcore AMD processor, 8GB RAM

Go Back to forum