• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Our reverb prayers have been answered...

Share/Bookmark

Our reverb prayers have been answered...

There is a new \"reverb\" plug-in just released from <a href=http://www.Audioease.com>AudioEase</a> called AltiVerb that I believe is better and more realistic than any hardware reverb currently available. It\'s based on the acoustic modeling technology exhibited in the $$$Sony777. It\'s not a DSP based reverb but more a physically modeled representation of actual halls. The product ships with (among others) a model of the Vredenburg concert hall which sounds absolutely gorgeous.

I\'ve spent the last few days experimenting with it and A/Bing it with my TCM3000 and LexiPCM90. As far as realism goes, it pretty much puts both units to shame (which bums me out, because I\'ve got over $4K invested in these boxes).

I believe that this reverb will help you achieve more realistic orchestral emulations, however there is a caveot and that is that it\'s only available as a plug-in for Digital Performer on a G4 Mac. PC guys are bummed, but even if you bought a new mac, the plug-in, and Digital Performer, you\'d still get a modeling reverb at a third of the cost of a Sony777. Something to think about
    -J

btw- I posted a little test that I did with me playing my \"close miked oboe\" in the Vrendenberg hall. Check it out here: http://www.DramaticAudio.com/audio/AltiverbOboe.mp3

[This message has been edited by IOComposer (edited 08-16-2001).]

PatS

Re: Our reverb prayers have been answered...

How does Altiverb compare with Sonic Foundry\'s Acoustic Mirror (http://www.sonicfoundry.com/PRODUCTS/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=10), which is now part of Sound Forge 5.0? I don\'t hear folks raving about Acoustic Mirror, but its underlying technology seems similar to that of Altiverb (\"acoustic impulse responses\"). Perhaps it could serve as a decent alternative for those of us who don\'t own or have access to Macs.

Pat

[This message has been edited by PatS (edited 08-16-2001).]

Modeling Reverb/Convalution has been aroundfor a while. Acoustic Modeler and Cool Edit and OLD samplers have been doing it for a while. IMO AM sounds really great and one can share all kinds of models of different halls with different people.

I\'m not sure if the Audio ease one does it any differently but I wouldn\'t think so...unless it works fmore like Cakewalk\'s sound stage and it allows you to \"place\" instruments in the space both stereo and #-d. Then it might be more of a true modeling system...somewhat more like the POD Guitar Amp simulator that models what happens to sound at different stages of an Amps chain. Convolution just uses reverb tails called impulse responses to base its models after...albiet it sounds REALLY REALLY good, its not true modeling/simulation in my opinion, but rather more like sampler.

sooo PC guys have had this stuff for a while

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

The problem that I find with acoustic mirror is that I find it unrealistic to mix with. Because it\'s not a real-time tool, doing a large mix requires a huge amount of grunt-work file processing. If I were just passing a mix through, it would be ok, but since I\'m doing different verb mixes for different sections (plus augmenting with Lexi-verb), I need to be able to use it in real-time. Plus, I run eq for each section before verb so that I can manipulate the mix pre-reverb. Doing this as a non real-time process would be ultra-arduous, although not undoable if you don\'t have deadlines and don\'t mind spending all of your time mixing instead of composing
    -J

Jsut read about it... Four Channel Reverbs....\'.nice

you\'ll get \"true\" placement
    you can do this with a bouple of AM models tho

I can use AM in Realtime at its 4 setting most of the time in a 1 gig athlon. put two of them in and it starts to choke. I agree its a pain not working in realtime tho....BUT what you can do is IF you are working with wet and dry mixes you can render jsut the Reverb to track and then mix the wet signal as just another track.
    ------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 08-16-2001).]

Very nice, Jamey! Excellent performance.

Slightly OT: Are you using a wind controller and if so, what kind?
    Thanks,
    Neal

Yeah. It\'s a WX5 It\'s become my main instrument.
    -J

Hi IO Composer
    Just wondering what library you are you using the oboe from and is the tremelo in the sample or applied by you in realtime via some controller within the WXK?
    Thanks , Ken

I mean WX5

IOComposer, that oboe has some nice expression. I\'m about to get a WX5, but I\'m wondering how you\'ve done this vibrato. I don\'t have any sounds that add vibrato though any controllers (that I know of), but can this kind of vibrato be played in n the WX5 using lip vibrato to send pitch bend information? Can this be done with something like Dan Dean\'s woodwinds NV patches?

Go Back to forum