• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Strings update: it rules!

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Strings update: it rules!

Hello,

just a quick note to congratulate Dan Dean on his new site, and especially on the updates to his Solo Strings library which he made available for download yesterday.

I can\'t believe how much better the DDSS library is now! Its samples have always been extremely expressive, but playability suffered because of the long attacks on sustained notes and the limited number of articulations.

Until yesterday I was forced to layer staccato and sustained samples and then tweak phrases one by one as needed to simulate additional articulations. The update completely removes the need for such tedium, adds a bunch of other useful playing techniques, including a great sounding and very clever \"ensemble\" mode (I can\'t wait to see how that works with the Solo Brass!), and fixes some serious issues with a few samples in the low range of the violin.

Even before the update the DDSS had the best sounding instruments, IMHO. The samples have a tenderness and sparkle which I haven\'t heard in any other library; lyrical lines really \"sing,\" in all ranges. That was reason enough for me to use it over the XSample solo strings, the Miroslav or the Adv. Orch offerings, in spite of the playability problems.

With these updates the DDSS has become the clear winner when it comes to solo strings, and it smokes the competition in the \"bang-for-the-buck\" department. Highly recommended!

Thank you Dan for continuing to improve on your already released products, as well as releasing new ones!

All the best,

A-

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com

Re: Dan Dean Solo Strings update: it rules!

Are you at liberty to post an example of what you can do with this library? The demo on the DDwebsite is not exemplary of the new features.
    -J

Well, Dan\'s timing couldn\'t have been more perfect for me, as I am currently working on a string quartet commission which will be performed by live players at the end of September in Santa Barbara, CA.

I am putting together a rehearsal guide/sketch for the players, using exclusively the DDSS. So far, it\'s sounding really good to me (and this was before getting the update), but I am not really trying to achieve \"super-realism\" with this (again, it\'s just a sketch, not a production piece), yet it could be a good demo of what\'s possible to do with this library without too much manual labor..

I should be done the first week of September.. if the results are not too embarrassing, I\'ll certainly share it with whomever might be interested. Actually, it might be a great exercise for me to see how much I can improve on the realism of the piece given feedback from experts such as yourself.

Take care,

A-

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by apessino:
    [B]Hello,

just a quick note to congratulate Dan Dean on his new site, and especially on the updates to his Solo Strings library which he made available for download yesterday.

Hi Andrea (not female, just italian...),

I\'m very pleased that you like the DDSS update. I think it adds quite a lot to the playability. I also think the \"ensemble\" patches are amazing. I am happy to offer it as a free update to the Solo Strings so that all of you can enjoy some fresh new features after the fact. It is seldom that you\'re able to buy something and enhance it AFTER the purchase. I really appreciate your comments and hope that the word gets out to all of the DDSS users that there\'s a free update.

I might add that the Solo Woodwinds update is similar in that it adds a lot of features and fixes some GS edit induced bugs. After the update, the DDSWW play better.

Thanks again,
    DD

Hi, Dan. I\'m a newbie to the world of samples and have just gotten Giga. I am now trying to figure out how to go about building my library. As far as orchestral sounds go, I was thinking of going with AO, (Garritan OS is going to be way out of my range if I don\'t preorder and after purchasing my GigaDAW, I don\'t have the cash to preorder.) Now that I\'ve heard about this update of your strings, I\'ve decided to ditch AO for now and go with your libraries. I\'m looking forward to hearing the \"ensemble mode\" sounds.

One question, when I buy your strings collection, will these updates be incorporated, or will I need to download and apply the updates?

Thanks for giving those of us who aren\'t made of money such high-quality options

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nycbhh:
    Hi, Dan. I\'m a newbie to the world of samples and have just gotten Giga. I am now trying to figure out how to go about building my library. As far as orchestral sounds go, I was thinking of going with AO, (Garritan OS is going to be way out of my range if I don\'t preorder and after purchasing my GigaDAW, I don\'t have the cash to preorder.) Now that I\'ve heard about this update of your strings, I\'ve decided to ditch AO for now and go with your libraries. I\'m looking forward to hearing the \"ensemble mode\" sounds.

One question, when I buy your strings collection, will these updates be incorporated, or will I need to download and apply the updates?

Thanks for giving those of us who aren\'t made of money such high-quality options

Brad
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi Brad,

I haven\'t made provisions to ship the articulation files with the DDSS, but I would be happy to put them on a disk and send them to you with the DDSS. They sound great.

Thanks,
    DD

Actually, downloading them won\'t be a problem. I was just curious as to whether I would need to do it or not. Thanks for getting back to me.

Brad

Nice work on the update Dan!

The ensemble patches for the short staccato stuff and the trills sound fantastic! The arco ensemble patches have a slight \"chorus\" effect--they sound good but if you listen it does sound like one patch using a lot of chorus. I will have to see how it fits into the mix.

The new articluations are nice too. I now love the solo viola almost as much as the cello! Good choice of patches too with both the keyswitch and velocity swith for short/long notes.

Should I be concerned that when I applied the violin articulation patch I got a warning saying something like only 83% of the waveforms matched or something like that? I didn\'t get any messages on the cello or viola.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 08-17-2001).]

I received the same error message when I applied the Violin Articulation file. Is there a problem or is it because I had applied an earlier articulation file?

NCCBHH,

Please note that Dan Dean\'s Strings are just solo strings. You will still need a string orchestra library. I highly recommend saving for Garritan\'s Orchestral Strings.

Out of curiosity, how much additional value do the new updates add to the package. I was leaning towards my first sample cd,one of the Xsample cds 5 or 10, but from what I\'m reading here, it seems like DD SS is a better choice? Any opinions?

Cheers,

Go Back to forum