• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where are the Aria mixer meters?

Share/Bookmark

Where are the Aria mixer meters?

Where are the level meters to watch while you are setting the faders while using the Aria mixer? Also, when using Aria (I only use it as a plug-in to Sonar Home Studio 7XL) I get a stuck note when I solo or mute a track while the project is playing. I have to stop play and rewind back to the start to silence the stuck note. Anyone else have this problem? I did not experience this when using Kontakt as a plug-in. I saw some posts, not addressing this specific question, that advised just using your ears. I have what I like to call a solder ear (40% lead and 60% tin).

This is my first post so please excuse if this has been discussed b4. Thanks for any help. I'm not sure I even know where to look for any responses. I like to never found how you post a question.

Re: Where are the Aria mixer meters?

There are no level meters on Aria yet, that's why you can't find them.

I use Sonar also - unwise to mute and unmute without stopping the project momentarily to do so. Stuck notes are exactly what you'll get. Easy solution=stop first.

Randy

Thanks Rbowser. Are there any plans to add metering to Aria? I use Cakewalk's Boost 11 after I put each track in audio, but I'm afraid I may be causing distortion by setting the velocity or volume too high in the MIDI track. I read the thread about the Aria faders just echoing what you have set in the MIDI track. I don't get much help from the tiny level meters in the Sonar MIDI tracks.

I still find it a little bizarre that out of 6 or so plug-ins I use in Home Studio, only Aria causes a stuck note. I do a lot of soloing and muting while listening to projects and I'll just have to re-train myself not to.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by TinPanAlley View Post
    Thanks Rbowser. Are there any plans to add metering to Aria?
    Yes, it's a much-requested item, and will eventually be in Aria.

I'll add that it won't make any difference to me, because of the way I work in Sonar. Aria for me is simply the audio engine to get sound into my Sonar projects. As long as nothing is peaking out, I don't even care about the balance. All that sort of work is done by me in Sonar.

I use Cakewalk's Boost 11 after I put each track in audio, but I'm afraid I may be causing distortion by setting the velocity or volume too high in the MIDI track. I read the thread about the Aria faders just echoing what you have set in the MIDI track. I don't get much help from the tiny level meters in the Sonar MIDI tracks.
    Let me pass on some things about what you've mentioned in that quote:

--Boost 11 is no more than "ok" tool. It's basically a compressor, and can really introduce distortion in your recording, even when the controls are at low levels. Cymbals, for instance, don't survive Boost 11. My recommendation is to avoid using it.

--You need to start paying attention to the Audio faders in Sonar, not the MIDI faders. Those I literally never look at. Those are showing you standard MIDI volume. The only thing you need to keep track of is where your meters are on the Audio tracks. The best way to get an over view of that is in the Console View where you can see all or most of your tracks at once, depending on the size of your project.

--The meters look pretty much the same for both MIDI and Audio in Sonar--I don't know why they're looking "tiny" to you. In the Console View, do you understand you have a choice of Narrow or Wide display? Either way, for me the meters are extemely readable and clear.--Take a look at your Audio--I think you may see they're easier to read than the MIDI faders you've been looking at for some reason.

--Reiterating - Focus on your Audio in Sonar. That's where it all ends up counting. Before the Audio, just approximate a good healthy level for all your instruments, but do the fine-tuning with Audio, not MIDI.
    I still find it a little bizarre that out of 6 or so plug-ins I use in Home Studio, only Aria causes a stuck note. I do a lot of soloing and muting while listening to projects and I'll just have to re-train myself not to.
    Interesting. I couldn't say for sure that other plugins I use will have stuck notes under the same circumstances - I've never gotten in the habit of trying to mute or un-mute without stopping playback. Somehow it really hadn't ocurred to me to do that. Adjust your working method, just stop for a second to mute what you want, and start again. You'll never a stuck note again.

Randy B.

Thanks Randy - good advice.

Tom C.

Go Back to forum