• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: The Who at the Superbowl

Share/Bookmark

OT: The Who at the Superbowl

Anybody catch this? There were a few headlines on the internet wondering what the public opinion of their set was.

My 2 cents:

While the boys are aging (aren't we all) I was so happy to see them up there rockin out... I am not a huge Who fan but it was so refreshing to see guys who can play their instruments and who have such an amazing catalog of really great songs.

This beat the heck out of a "wardrobe malfunction" or lip syncing teeny bopper IMO. People have criticized Daltrey for not hitting the high notes. Number one, he tried, number two, he has in the past, and number three some of the young divas these days can't hit any notes at all and they are in their prime. I can't imagine them prancing around at 65...

OK I'm older and jaded and reeling from a music industry that used to have real people playing real instruments. (now I have to get back to my fake orchestra samples ) These guys played songs that they wrote and we all paid for their entertainment by buying (actually paying money for) their art and entertainment.

Thank you Roger and Pete for the great moment! And super kudos to the set designer and awesome Mipix and pyro1 (plus the cool cymbal graphics)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: OT: The Who at the Superbowl

I'm not a fan of The Who either, but I agree, it's good to see talented people playing their music these last few years rather than the 'pop' crap we were subject to before. IMO if an 'artist' feels the need to sell his/her music with or wardrobe malfunctions, then the artist hasn't really honed his craft well enough and doesn't deserve the recognition. (Unless 'prostitution' is the real craft and they use music to sell it! )

Rob

Thought it was great! (and I am a huge fan of The Who and Pete Townshend).

Sure they've done better in their younger days, but it was pretty good considering not having Keith Moon or John Entwistle.

Especially comparing it to the Grammy's performances, where there was nothing even close to as energetic as these old timers doing their thing!

Thought Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) did a great job of making the tunes his own too.....those are pretty impossible shoes to fill.

And Roger sounded really amazing considering his age. Man, doing those screams still....that's pretty impressive!

Well I'll have to be the contrarian. I grew up with the Who but I thought they were embarrassing Sunday night. The vocals had me constantly cringing. I don't think the talent should be chosen based on how well they may have performed 30 years ago.
    My kids who have no history with the band found it comical.
    JP

Interesting...my kids liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio View Post
    Well I'll have to be the contrarian. I grew up with the Who but I thought they were embarrassing Sunday night. The vocals had me constantly cringing. I don't think the talent should be chosen based on how well they may have performed 30 years ago.
    JP
    I think the key point for me is that they actually did perform their music 30 years ago, and 20 years ago and 10 years ago and a few days ago. A lot of todays acts can't even perform their own music now and, again, they are in their prime. Brittany Spears toured Australia and there was some comments from the press that she wasn't really singing. Her management's response was "well yah but what you need to understand is that it's really about the dancing and the whole spectacle" ...apparently singing is not important in her pop music... And did you see Jennifer Lopez on the New Year's Eve TV performance? Now that was embarrassing.

So when people like Britanny and J'Lo etc ever do an "Unplugged" version of their music how will that work? Because when you unplug them they just kind of stop...

I'll take a performance like the Who's anyday. Great songs that will be around for a long time.

Respectfully,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Just looked at it for the first time on youtube. My 2 cents is that you have to be a fan of the WHO or a serious fan of 60's/70's rock which I am neither to appreciate this..... Any music concert I enjoy it is usually a combination of liking the song/artist and/or appreciating the musicianship of the band.
    For me personally neither of those two were my cup of tea..
    my different 2 cents.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

I don't get the trend of sr. citizen rock stars from across the pond performing at America's greatest religious event.

Maybe the Kinks are next.

I don't care for the NFL/MTV relationship.

I didn't watch the game but I did watch the halftime show curious to see The Who. OK, they are not quite the same energetic young lads who I saw in a medium-size venue do a great set and then smash all of their equipment in the summer of 1967. I couldn't blame them for that, they were backing up Herman's Hermits; that's enough to make anyone want to smash their equipment. I saw them again in the late 80s, and it was a great show but I didn't like the football stadium format. I thought the super Bowl performance was fun, great light show! And yeah, they can't hit all of the notes anymore, and probably need to rethink their keys, but then I never could hit those notes and I would love to own their discography and cash their royalty checks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio View Post
    JP
    I'm sure some of what your kids listen to sounds comical to some people. Horses for courses!

To be fair, the Super Bowl is not for just kids, it's for people of all ages, and there are a ton of baby boomers (I'm one of them). Also, don't forget that one of the most popular shows on TV "CSI:Miami" ...uses "Won't Get Fooled Again" as their open music, and the Superbowl was here in Miami. Kids who like the music to that show probably didn't even realize it was by The Who

It didn't help that the mix was terrible. The hi hat was as loud as Townsend's guitar, and unfortunately as is common in many live performances, some of the songs were played a little too slowly. But it's still nice to see them out there doing it...much better than Janet Jackson losing her shirt

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Go Back to forum