• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Alfred Hitchcock presents: Funeral march of a marionnette by Charles Gounod

Share/Bookmark

Alfred Hitchcock presents: Funeral march of a marionnette by Charles Gounod

Hi everybody,

Here is the Funeral march of a marionnette (Marche funèbre d'une marionnette) written by Charles Gounod, a french composer from the XIXth century. This music was used in "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" movies.

It has been fully done with GPO4 only.

Let me know what think about this piece.

Enjoy,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Alfred Hitchcock presents: Funeral march of a marionnette by Charles Gounod

Gees, are you sure you didn't slip in a recording of a real orchestra? That's incredible!

Pat

Wow!
    This sounds fantastic! What reverb and setting did you use?
    -Chris

Thanks to both of you.
    I'm glad you enjoyed my work.

@cptexas:
    I used the Space Designer shipped in Logic Pro. The setting is "Big Concert Hall". Then for each instance of ARIA (1 instance per orchestra section), I used different amount of reverb in a bus. The Space designer is on the bus.

I used also overlay samples from GPO during the orchestra hits for the strings and brass.

As this piece is mostly in p and pp, I tried to be as light as possible.
    There is no spoon.

Hi Fred,

Yet another realistic offering from you ... great job!

I think it's difficult to use restraint (as you have) in a piece like this as opposed to aggressively attacking a more bombastic piece. There was a nice ambiance to your mix as well.

As I understand it, this piece was composed by Gounod to mock a music critic of his day whom he detested! I don't know if that is just folklore, but it makes this great composition even more delicious!

And a BIG to Mr. Hitchcock for placing this great piece of music in the lexicon of popular music worldwide! After all, he could of just had Herrmann (they were still talking) write an original theme for his show!

I enjoyed this!

Regards,

Frank

Fred;
    Very good! Lots of dynamics and colour.
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hey Fred, nice piece. I recognized the theme immediately, of course, but I'd never realized its origin. Love the woodwinds, but the "hits" sound a bit too hard to me. Perhaps you need to put a compressor on it, since the difference in levels is rather big. Anyway, it's a nice post of a piece of music both known and unknown. Thanks!
    Theo

Thanks a lot for the positive replies.

I'm glad you appreciated it.

As said, this piece is mostly played in p and pp except the hits which are in f and ff. I used the AG patches to reinforce the contrast. If you hear a real version, you'll hear this contrast too. I tried to reproduce this piece as near as possible to a real version.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Thumbs up Re: Alfred Hitchcock presents: Funeral march of a marionnette by Charles Gounod

Sounds superb ... and inspiring - must be very satisfying to achieve this level of realism - well worth the effort!?

Excellent job Fred. I can't say much that hasn't been said already.

What strikes me about this piece is the dynamics. You probably wore out your mod wheel on this one

This is inspiring to me as well as I delve deeper into the sequencing world and realistic playback.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast