• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilian Help

Share/Bookmark

Trilian Help

Hi Newbie here, i got directed here from the Spectrasonics site.

I am in my 40's with six kids and pretty new to the VI's and am busy trying out some home recording with ProTools , due to as my wife and kids say 'A mid life crisis'. If anyone has any questions about me or my recording equipment ask away.

I would like a little help with the following in Trilian please:

When i release a key on my midi controller, the note will mute.
    What i would like is the note to still resonate when released, until another note is played. i.e like playing an open string. An idiots guide would be very welcome.

Is this possible, i'm sure it is? but can't find a way.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

p.s Already emailed support at spectrasonics but there might be a few days delay in replying. I guess thats what happens when you develop a product the world wants.

I hope you understand what i'm trying to do, and sorry if not clear.

Re: Trilian Help

Sorry, are you saying that even with the sustain pedal held down, a note cuts off suddenly when you release the key?? I don't quite understand..............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Sorry, are you saying that even with the sustain pedal held down, a note cuts off suddenly when you release the key?? I don't quite understand..............playz
    You've just gave me a 'Doh!!!' moment.

I never thought about a sustain pedal, as i don't have one for my Korg R3 which i am using as my controller. However my son has a Roland Piano which does, i will be able to use that as a controller.
    Thanks for that, a sustain pedal never even crossed my mind. Which makes me an idiot i suppose, sometimes the simplest things seem hard. I am very grateful sir.

However, is it possible to programme a note to sustain within Trilian?

Thanks again

Alan

Why would you choose to use a sus pedal if you could hold down the key until you want it to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Why would you choose to use a sus pedal if you could hold down the key until you want it to stop?
    Hi Slinky

Simple really, i need to have a driving bass line. e.g ' Streets have no name' U2......that sort of effect. If i held down, then released the note at pace, i would just get a jerky kind of Staccato effect, which isn't what i wanted.

Alan

Re: "is it possible to programme a note to sustain within Trilian?"
    ---What recording program are you using with Trilian? For example, in Cubase (and most others DAWs) it's very easy to draw in a 'sustain' etc. in MIDI editors (like the Key editor in Cubase). Record the MIDI part, then simply edit it, adding what ever controllers you wish. To extend a note while playing live, use the sustain pedal or a controller slider on your keyboard. The samples are there; basically you just have to trigger them somehow for as long or as little as you wish..................playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

You can simulate this by setting Trilian to a single voice, turning Legato off and then using the sustain pedal. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Re: "is it possible to programme a note to sustain within Trilian?"
    ---What recording program are you using with Trilian? For example, in Cubase (and most others DAWs) it's very easy to draw in a 'sustain' etc. in MIDI editors (like the Key editor in Cubase). Record the MIDI part, then simply edit it, adding what ever controllers you wish. To extend a note while playing live, use the sustain pedal or a controller slider on your keyboard. The samples are there; basically you just have to trigger them somehow for as long or as little as you wish..................playz
    Thanks Playz, i'm using ProTools LE8. Like i said i'm quite new, but i can give your idea a whirl in my midi editor that's not a problem, as well as the foot controller which i have sorted now.
    That is a pretty impressive set of VI's you have listed in your sig, do you have a link to any of your work? i'd like to listen. I've got a feeling i'm going to have to part with some of my hard earned cash on Omni. Spectrasonics sort of get you hooked dammit!!

Oh! and hi Eric, i love your work. You got a huge fan here. I'll also experiment with your suggestion also as i'm trying to get used to Trilian. Can it wash the dishes? it seems to do everything else

Alan

Go Back to forum