• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need tips on Divisi

Share/Bookmark

Need tips on Divisi

Hi !

I just got GPO4 ( i have also JABB for a while now ) and exploring what i could do with strings, i came accross some interrogations .

Suppose i need a Violins I section ( according to the manual, the Violins section patch it is 12 violins ) to go Divisi in a part of the tune. How do i do it to sound as real as possible in GPO4 ? If i play 2 notes using the same "section" It sound way too powerfull ( i feel it should be softer and quieter, right ?)

Building the section piece by piece is probably the way to go , but how do you build 12 pieces sections without using the "solo" patches with the "player" patches (as stated in the GPO4 user guide) ?

Thank you in advance for taking time to answer me

Max Freniere
    A VERY happy customer

Re: Need tips on Divisi

Divisi. So you want 6 players play the top voice and 6 players playing the lower voice. Within using string sections you always have all 12 players at hand. Apart from ensemble building, you can't avoid this.

The only thing to do is lowering the volume of both voices. Together they make to overal volume you want. Using two samples of the same kind often lead to a nasty sound (phasing will occur), so when I want that, I use two different "instruments", the Violins KS and the Violins Sustain+Short.

By the way, violins patches can play polyphonic. Remains of course that you have to control the volume very carefully.

Raymond

Wow, that was quick...lol

Thanks for the infos. I will try playing more with my ModWheel, as i found more and more how it is crucial in Garritan instruments.

Suggestion to the Garritan Team : Some new "divisi" patches for the Strings sections for a future update ! Quick and easy, need a divisi, just load 2 more patches ( like VlnsI divisi1, and VlnsI divisi2, ect...)instead of a lot of instruments patches. It also solve the problem of overpowering the section by playing 2 notes out of the same patch...

Thanks again Raymond

Max

Gday Max,

You said:

“Building the section piece by piece is probably the way to go”

No, you cannot really construct violin sections from solo violin players. The playing of section players differs from the playing of solo violins. Most notably, solo violins use vibrato. There is also the problem of not having sufficient violins with unique samples. Re-using violins with identical samples will give you phasing problems.

If you wish to reduce the numbers of players in a section or divisi, do what Raymond says:

“The only thing to do is lowering the volume of both voices.”

Raymond also says:

“Remains of course that you have to control the volume very carefully.”

A section of 12 players can replace any section by adjusting the volume level.

Best wishes,

Herbert
    Last edited by sonata5920; 02-07-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: formating
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Thanks Sonata ...

I am at my first steps at "Classical" music ( i am from the Jazz/Modern world...lol) and any help is greatly appreciated. I am digging on Classical because my goal is to be able to make Production music for films and commercials to "maybe" earn a little income on the side sometimes. But of course, FUN is also a big factor.

I think i am gonna plug myself to a Classical Web-Radio for a few days... to scratch the surface of it all.

[QUOTE=sonata5920;643498]

You said:

No, you cannot really construct violin sections from solo violin players. The playing of section players differs from the playing of solo violins. Most notably, solo violins use vibrato. There is also the problem of not having sufficient violins with unique samples. Re-using violins with identical samples will give you phasing problems.

If you wish to reduce the numbers of players in a section or divisi, do what Raymond says:

“The only thing to do is lowering the volume of both voices.”

Violin ensemble players also use vibrato, which is the primary reason 6 violins doesn't sound like 24. The volume difference is only 6dB.

The GPO4 manual says on page 76 that it can be done but then says: "to learn more, see the Ensemble Building Tutorials on the Garritan web site."

I looked for 30 minutes and can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

I'm not sure divisi can be achieved with GPO.

GPO strings do not seem to be designed for divisi.

But I might be wrong.

I could see around the forum that Garritan works on an ARIA version of a strings only library. I hope it will handle divisi. I'm looking forward to it.

If you really need divisi on strings, there are some libraries around that provide divisi. I won't give names here. But you have to know it's not the same price as GPO...

I can give you some references by private mail if you wish.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    No, you cannot really construct violin sections from solo violin players. The playing of section players differs from the playing of solo violins. Most notably, solo violins use vibrato.
    I would say that's an instant classic.

Max, as a general tendency try to rather avoid divisi than to use it. I see lot of composing where divisi is used just because somebody plays chords on piano with 5 or 6 fingers on the keyboard and wonders how to distribute that to the strings. Weed that out, you don't need more than three or four notes for most chords anyway before you start doubling notes.

If you really need divisi then split the violas, it is the least conspicious there. Second choice would be celli or 2nd violins. Don't split the first violins especially if one of the voices is supposed to play in high register, or it will sound thin (that is, with real strings). Except if you deliberately want that as an effect of course.

If you stick to splitting the violas most time it is enough for practical reasons to use normal patches and lower the volume a bit (by 3 dB) as Raymond said.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

BTW before using divisi as a standard it would be an idea to check out how full even three or four voices can sound on strings. This is Mozart KV 525, 2nd movement, and notice how full the three voices already sound until bar 5 - not even the celli and basses are split.

http://www.strings-on-demand.com/dem...KV525_07_x.mp3

All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    I would say that's an instant classic.

If you really need divisi then split the violas, it is the least conspicious there. Second choice would be celli or 2nd violins. Don't split the first violins especially if one of the voices is supposed to play in high register, or it will sound thin (that is, with real strings). Except if you deliberately want that as an effect of course.
    I would split the cellos, since they are usually stronger players, they can more easily play louder, and in a college or semi-pro porchestra there may be more of them. It's been common in "classical" music since Debussy to split the choirs at least some of the time.

I spent a few days investigating how to build divisi ensembles in GPO. There's a (longish) essay about this on my web site, with a set of 27 ARIA Ensemble files for different configurations which you may download and use, plus an audio example (and score excerpt) of strings divided into 2's and 3's. Ensemble building is pretty straightforward, though the sonic results are mixed, due to limitations in the GPO library. Violas are especially difficult. It's at www.JohnMelcher.Net/GPO4_strings.

Go Back to forum