• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unexpected change in strings sound

Share/Bookmark

Unexpected change in strings sound

In writing a small piece for string quartet using Sibelius 6 with GPO4. In one 8 bar section the quality of all 4 instruments is very different from all the rest. More vibrato, more reverb, more staccato, possibly softer attack (which sounds contrary to the staccato). Picking different instruments from GPO's list (Strad vs Gagliano, etc.) doesn't eliminate the unwanted effects.

I suspect Sibelius gave me an unintended MIDI sequence or key switch. Is there one that would produce this? I want to ask/tell the Sibelius folks about this but I would like a better grasp of the situation before I do that.

Pat

Re: Unexpected change in strings sound

Definitely contact the Sib forum - you can even post the excerpt so others can try/play/hear it to see what the issue is. Are there any slur markings? There are some occasions I have found where the notes under a slur are noticeably quieter than the pitches before and after the slurred passage.

But do post over on the Sib page. Can't hurt.

Good luck.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ok. I'll let the Sib folks know, but I'd still like to know what would make GPO strings change this way. A MIDI sequence? A key switch?

I've tried so many "fixes" to that phrase that I can't remember what it was initially like. I think there were originally no slurs. (There are now.) I also added and removed a legato specification, and that may have changed things enough that I'm no longer fighting the first symptoms.

Pat

Another way to trouble shoot the problem is to start from scratch, and add text, marking, dynamics one-by-one. I suspect there may be something in the text that is triggering a keyswitch of some sort - which is editable in the Dictionary.

Hope that helps ( a little ).
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have much hope in purposely recreating this. I hadn't (intentionally) done anything I haven't done many times before without causing problems. Entering it note for note doesn't recreate the problem. (That is/was the obvious final solution, of course. The composition no longer has the offending phrase. But right now I'm in debugging mode, not composing mode so I'm working with a saved copy.)

Pat

It looks like whatever I did in trying to save a copy of the problem didn't work. The saved sample sounds fine. So much for debugging. Oh well.

Pat

Go Back to forum