• Register
  • Help

Topic: New User

Share/Bookmark

New User

What is the difference between the GPO Standard instruments and the GPO Notation Instruments? I use Finale, and would like to use GPO4 with it. when setting up Finale, or just the Aria Player, which sample should I use, and is there a difference?

Thanks,

Art G.

Re: New User

That's a pertinent question...
    I'd like to know the difference too even if I use GPO4 in Logic.
    There is no spoon.

Hello you guys - The samples in the two different versions, "standard" and "notation" sound exactly alike. The difference is that the notation set has been programmed differently in order to be the most compatible with Finale. So when you're setting up a project in Finale, always use the notation instruments.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by akgreenberg View Post
    What is the difference between the GPO Standard instruments and the GPO Notation Instruments? I use Finale, and would like to use GPO4 with it. when setting up Finale, or just the Aria Player, which sample should I use, and is there a difference?

Thanks,

Art G.
    Hello Art and a warm welcome to our forums.

I use finale 2010 and I can confirm Randy's answer.

In fact, if you use the setup Wizard within Finale to setup your scores, you'll find that the 'Notation Set' has automatically been applied.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Well, to be more specific:

The non notation sets place the keyswitches fairly close to the lowest sounding note of the patch. Ie, if c3 is the lowest sounding note the keyswitches might be placed starting at c2. This places them close by for live keyswitching and accomodates shorter keyboards.

The notation sets place the keyswitches at the very bottom of the keyboard regardless of the lowest sounding note in a patch. Thus they're always at C0. This makes them easier to use in Piano Roll view because they're always at the same place.

Hi, Rob - Yes there are several specific programming things that have been done with the Notation set of instruments to make them work best with Finale. Another one besides what you noted about keyswitches, is that the Garritan Legato function is done with CC68 in notation instead of CC64.

The main point for Art to know is that he should indeed use the Notation sets in Finale, and as Michael explained, the Finale set up wizard will do that automatically for him.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rob.manderson View Post
    Well, to be more specific:

The non notation sets place the keyswitches fairly close to the lowest sounding note of the patch. Ie, if c3 is the lowest sounding note the keyswitches might be placed starting at c2. This places them close by for live keyswitching and accomodates shorter keyboards.

The notation sets place the keyswitches at the very bottom of the keyboard regardless of the lowest sounding note in a patch. Thus they're always at C0. This makes them easier to use in Piano Roll view because they're always at the same place.

Hi Art and welcome to the Garritan Forum.

Also, be aware that the "notation" instruments will have an
    "n-" before each name in the ARIA Player.

Something else to be aware of: if you import a file into
    Finale that WASN'T created with your current version, you
    should check to see that the INSTRUMENTS in that file are
    loaded. More often than not, they will not be, so you have
    to manually load them. No problem, but if you do not check
    first, you may not hear any sounds..........lol

I will be waiting for your first creative effort when you feel
    it is what you want us to hear. You will find that the people
    at this Forum are very helpful and positive critics.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you all for the information. I am using Finale 2010. I upgrade each year. Finale gets better with each upgrade. This is my first venture into the sounds of Garritan. My next request is to get a Saxophone section into GPO4. I know it is for orchestra, but I write for concert band and Jazz Ensemble too!

Art G.
    Still trying to get it all to work.

Art, you will want to purchase Garritan Concert and Marching Band when it becomes available. You will be able to load GPO and Marching Band instruments right there in the same player. Garritan Jazz & Big Band (JABB) and also Concert & Marching Band (COMB) should be released real soon.

Dan

Go Back to forum