• Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: EW Hollywood Strings Demo!

Share/Bookmark

EW Hollywood Strings Demo!

please, I'd love to hear everyone's impressions. My first impressions are:

1) Oh my god.
    2) I wish I could afford this
    3) Though the demo is extremely brief, the sordino strings are stunning!

http://www..com/hollywood-strings

Re: EW Hollywood Strings Demo!

I dont doubt that it sounds pretty good. There are parts of the demo that sounded really good and other parts that seemed a bit contrived to me. I couldnt afford it even if I did want it but it's all for the better as I really want to hear from some customer reviews once it has landed. Besides, it's just another reminder that I need to beef up my current system (2.66 Quad XP 32) in order to really enjoy some of the high-end libs.

There are many new string libs hitting right now and for the first time in my sample-loving life, I'm beginning to think that bigger isnt necessarily better. The hard drive real-estate alone kind of scares me.

That said, if you are pulling down a real income every year with mock-ups, I'm sure this is a no-brainer. Little guys like me just have to be a bit more cautious. Congrats to those of you who are going to be enjoying this soon though. Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Heh, this is kinda insane already... xDDD

Specifications and System Requirements (Diamond Edition)

532GB free hard disc space
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I know! 532 GB is insane. I'm not sure I have the horsepower to support this library. I would have to make some serious adjustments in order to support it.

I'm rather underwhelmed. It sounds like a well recorded sample library. Another one.

There are obviously some nice things in there...the runs are cool. But I don't think it sounds better than Lass really.

I think we all need work on our writing skills more than we need another library, at least speaking for myself

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    I think we all need work on our writing skills more than we need another library, at least speaking for myself

TH
    Amen (speaking for myself too, of course) 532 gigs! Yikes! It does sound fantastic and I wish I could afford it but it's not only the price of the software, it's the price of the drive and the computer to run it on. And then will it sit nice with my VSL woodwinds and horns? (or even with my EW Gold lib?) Will they be coming out with a Hollywood Brass lib? Woodwinds?

The good news is in a year or so we'll all be scooping this up in the EW Holiday 3 pack special EW does make great stuff and I have just recently upgraded some of my NI versions to Play now that I have a new computer. they are definitely industry leaders.

But yes, learning some new writing skills and producing more music is far more satisfying that installing a half a terrabyte of string samples that will bring my computer to its knees when I play an Am chord...

I suspect that years from now EW box will ship a new library that contains 40 robots in it that play real stringed instruments. (I hope they're girl robots...)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

The the target audience on this library is obviously someone who wants to be able to decide on everything and does have the resources. Maybe some big bad Hollywood composer who already has a gigantic multi-workstation-studio.

I personally prefer a musical product where certain decisions have been made to be able to offer a product of a reasonable size, a smaller amount of patches and innovative playability. And obviously this is a product of a different category, which is just good. Something for everyone. For example in LASS big decisions were made that impacted on the size of the product: there's no controllable vibrato separately, but it goes with the dynamics, as the developer did research and said that this is the natural way how players tend to do: at pppp there's very little vibrato and at fff there's much of it. Also only one mic position, but again - it's so dry that you quite seldom want anything drier but almost always can use your own reverb on it to make it more wet.

So: these kinds of decisions limit the usage for those who want everything possible, but on the other hand you get automatically what you would get from a professional orchestra, based on their performance practises (for example with vibrato). In my case these are just good decisions that were based on usability and musicality. The product is much easier to play live and you need much less programming to get what you want.

Now, if you want to do something else with the vibrato or if you want alternate fingerings and you want multiple mic positions, then probably Hollywood Strings more what you want. Someone had to do this kind of EVERYTHING-IN-ONE library too and it's good that it exists.

Something for everyone.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    TH
    +1

I don't know what I already have well enough to even consider another library.

Regards John

Is it just me or is the "finger position" feature so subtle that it is really irrelevant in a piece of music? Personally I couldn't for the life of me hear any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    please, I'd love to hear everyone's impressions. My first impressions are:

3) Though the demo is extremely brief, the sordino strings are stunning!

http://www..com/hollywood-strings

Are they really sordino (muted) strings? Not that that matters because they do sound really good. And with samples all that matters is the sound.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast