• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Just a bit to the right"

Share/Bookmark

"Just a bit to the right"

It might be my ears, but do the Violas sound a bit "right from the center"?
    I adjusted my monitors to exactly 0 dB, both left and right.

And.... is it true that the conversion to MP3 eliminates the center frequencies a bit more than left and right?

Raymond

Re: "Just a bit to the right"

Hi Raymond, you didn't post a link referring to your question.
    MP3 files do not typically mess with frequency response, volume or equalization. I am making up this analogy as I go....

imagine a wave file as a loaf of bread fresh out of the oven,

now we have to cut it up into slices to make it smaller so it can fit in a smaller breadbox, so we need 320,000 slices.

We must use the sharpest and most thin knife available, so we cut it into 320 (kbps) kilo bites per second, or 320,000 slices per loaf.

Now, even though it looks like we still have the entire loaf, some of bread got wasted and turned into crumbs, it is these crumbs that are missing in the MP3 loaf. After pushing all the slices neatly together, we notice that the size of the loaf is about the same as it was, very little has been wasted and therefore, the MP3 @ 320 kbps will sound (look) very much like the original uncut loaf.

If we were to slice up the loaf into only 64,000 slices, (64 kbps) we could afford to use a thicker knife but as you can imagine, a thicker knife is going to make a lot more waste, and there would be a ton of crumbs cut out. After pushing all the slices neatly together, we notice that the size of the loaf is much smaller, and the resulting sound would be very garbled since too much bread was cut out.

Not a great analogy but fun nonetheless.

I will make a video toot of "in your face" soon
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    .....now we have to cut it up into slices to make it smaller so it can fit in a smaller breadbox, so we need 320,000 slices.

That's why you only bake/buy one and only one cake at your birthday party. Just a thinner knife......

Raymond
    [your reply understood]

can I have my and eat it too?

As soon as I know where to send it to, you will get it in a MP3-box.

Raymond

Hi Raymond, you didn't post a link referring to your question.
    I checked everything. The MIDI tracks are set ot zero (<c>), the KP2 output, the Audiobus and the reverb bus with Altiverb. AV has stage set at ecaxtly the middle.

Still I hear the violas coming more from the right than the middle (center).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/da3ugt2op6.mp3

Raymond

"...Still I hear the violas coming more from the right than the middle (center)..."

Fun bread slicing analogy, Dan. Works for me!

But I'm here to confirm that the violas Do sound like they're coming from a bit to the right and not center. This is exactly the thing I was noticing while working on my current piece. The default position for them is of course center, but somehow it's definitely sounding off-centered to the right. Odd!

Randy

Why can't you hear a viola on a digital recording? Recording technology has reached such an advanced level of development that all extraneous noise is eliminated.

Haha, Raymond is awake!!!!

I have no problem hearing violas in a digital recording.

Digital recording is not biased to certain instruments.

The violas in your GPO recording are not centered because all the violas were not centered between the two microphones during the sampling session.

This is another lesson to be learned, the violas sounding like they are further to the right is not the fault of any panning or reverb setting.

You must listen to each individual sound and make sure it is exactly what you want. Like certain instruments having a few notes that really stick out. This is the fault of the person/s who were in charge of mastering the samples for GPO. If there are problems and they find their way into our mock-ups, it is not GPO's fault anymore... it is ours.
    Dan

I love this post. Good stuff, Dan.
    Randy

I have no problem hearing violas in a digital recording.

Digital recording is not biased to certain instruments.

The violas in your GPO recording are not centered because all the violas were not centered between the two microphones during the sampling session.

This is another lesson to be learned, the violas sounding like they are further to the right is not the fault of any panning or reverb setting.

You must listen to each individual sound and make sure it is exactly what you want. Like certain instruments having a few notes that really stick out. This is the fault of the person/s who were in charge of mastering the samples for GPO. If there are problems and they find their way into our mock-ups, it is not GPO's fault anymore... it is ours.
    Dan

Go Back to forum