• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4, JaBB, CoMB and Windows7 64 Bit

Share/Bookmark

GPO4, JaBB, CoMB and Windows7 64 Bit

I've just started making the move to Windows 7 64 Bit and would be grateful for any advice and/or suggestions etc. Although I would appreciate any comments at all on the subject I would welcome particularly any input on all things Garritan and Win 7 64 Bit.

To start with, my hardware is just over a year old. I build my own DAWs so I made sure my hardware is all 64 Bit enabled and I have available all the 64 Bit drivers. No problems there and everything hardware is getting along nicely together .. er .. so far.

Now regarding the software:

GPO4 Aria:

I know Aria is 64 Bit enabled so should be no problems with GPO4. I use this in both Finale 2010 and Sonar 8.5 both of which are 64 Bit enabled. So far it looks like these should all work together and I should be able to use GPO4 Aria with both Finale and Sonar.

Has anyone tried the above either with Finale 2010 or Sonar 8.5 (64 Bit versions)?

JaBB and CoMB:

Presently these use KP2 which is not 64 Bit. I realise that the full Kontakt 3.5 and up is 64 Bit enabled and, therefore, I presume that the Kontakt Player 3.5 will also be available as 64 Bit. My questions on this are:

(1) Would KP3.5 load JaBB and CoMB so they are shown and available as they are in KP2?
    (2) Would the latest full Kontakt 4 load JaBB and CoMB in the same way or would these need the Kontakt Player?

If anyone has tried any of the above I would be grateful if you would share your experiences .. good or bad.

I realise that both JaBB and CoMB with Aria are in Beta testing. (This was mentioned in a thread no so long ago, anyone wanting more information try a search for that thread.) These will obviously be 64 Bit but until released the Kontakt player is needed.

Lastly, if anyone would like to add more on Garritan and Windows 7 64 Bit that I haven't mentioned or would just like to share any thoughts or experiences with Windows 7 64 Bit generally, I would welcome them.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: GPO4, JaBB, CoMB and Windows7 64 Bit

Hi Michael,

I currently have GPO4, JABB and CoMB running well (with both Kontakt Player 2.5.2 and Kontakt 3.5). All are working in Standalone as well as hosted in Sonar 8.3 and 8.5.

I have just installed Finale 2010, which is claimed to be supported on Win7 64bit, however I thought that Finale is still a 32 bit application. I have not used Finale much yet, so I can't confirm stability. For the most part, I am working in Sonar.

If I am working an a smaller project, I will just run KP2 in Sonar. The 32 bit vst's and effects are handled through an application called bit bridge. On larger projects where I need the full use of my 12 gig memory, I will run with Kontakt 3.5

Kontakt Player3.5 and Kontakt 4 will load all of the NI based libraries however the library must be installed, activated and run in standalone in it's original form (i.e) KP2 libs will have to be launched in KP2 first.

Overall, I thought the switch from XP (32bit) to Win7 (64bit) was very easy with no problems observed.

Good Luck!

Derek

As Mad Kiltie said, Finale 2010 is still 32 bits, though it will run under a 64 bit o/s. You will need to download the latest update in order to use it in Windows 7, as the original F2010 does not support it.

I have all the Garritan libraries you mentioned and work almost exclusively in Finale 2010 on a x64 install of Windows 7 Ultimate. No problems at all. Everything is in working order just like it was before I upgraded from XP with SP3.

Thank you Derrek, nolda12 and trimpe for your replies; it's much appreciated.

So, here's some thinking out aloud.

Well, Finale 2010 (the latest updated version) works fine in Windows 7 x64 but in 32 Bit mode. Therefore the Aria 32 Bit plugin version will have to be used with Finale as will the 32 Bit version of the Kotakt player.

Now, Regarding Garritan Libraries in Sonar; I have two options.

Option 1. Install the x64 version of Sonar 8.5 x64 with the Aria x64 plugin and the Kontakt Player 3.5 (or 4 if it's available) which also offer 64 Bit versions. This means two installs of Aria and Kontakt Player; the x32 (for Finale) and x64 (for Sonar).

Option 2. Install the x32 version of Sonar and use the same 32 Bit plugins as Finale. This way I lose out on the 64 Bit sonar but have the easier and known path of using the same setup as in finale.

I'd appreciate any further comments, advice, suggestions particularly from anyone actually trying this but all comments are welcome.

Finally, I was interested to read that in order to use 3.5 (or 4) of the full Kontakt that KP2 needs to be installed first. Just a couple of questions on this.

1. Does the full Kontat 3.5 or 4 then recognise and load the Garritan libraries.
    2. If so, can we then uninstall the KP2 or is this needed on the system for the full Kontakt to recognise Garritan Libraries?

I think I might end up asking this in the NI forums but if anyone here can help out with this I would be grateful.

Thanks.
    Michael

Michael, I did not see a 64 bit version of GPO Aria that you spoke of, if there is a separate 64 bit version where do I find it? Also, do you have to reinstall all of the libraries or can you just point to them. Are there any Windows 7 64 bit tweaks to do to your system?

I just set up a dual boot XP 32-bit/Windows 7 64-bit system and am also making the transition.

Thanks,

Hello GregDX7,

[QUOTE=GregDx7;642013]Michael, I did not see a 64 bit version of GPO Aria that you spoke of, if there is a separate 64 bit version where do I find it? [/QUOTE

When installing GPO4 in a Windows x64 environment, 4 GPO4 plugins are installed;

ARIA Player Multi VST_x64.dll
    ARIA Player Multi VST_x86.dll
    ARIA Player VST_x64.dll
    ARIA Player VST_x86.dll

The default location for these is: C:\Program Files\vstplugins\Garritan

[QUOTE=GregDx7;642013]Also, do you have to reinstall all of the libraries or can you just point to them. [/QUOTE

At present 'Aria' does not have a facility for manually pointing it to folders. When installing a library with Aria, the paths are all set up and, as far as we know, this cannot be changed. Therefore, if you have already installed GPO4 everything is set and Aria should have picked up GPO4.

If you are using a notation editor such as Finale 2010 or Sibelius that is compatible with Aria, or a sequencer such as Sonar or cubase, you just need to copy the relevant plugin listed above into the program VST folder. This is assuming the install didn't do this already for you but it did install it for me in finale 2010. Aria should then pick this up when opened in the notation editor or the sequencer.

[QUOTE=GregDx7;642013]Are there any Windows 7 64 bit tweaks to do to your system?

I just set up a dual boot XP 32-bit/Windows 7 64-bit system and am also making the transition.

Thanks,[/QUOTE

Any tweaks .. ohhhh .. loads. All optional of course and to suite my particular palate.

With XP I used nLite to remove just about everything I could and to make a slipstream install CD. With Vista I used vLite to do the same. With Windows 7 it seems Nuhi has ceased development. However, Windows 7 does have more opportunities to disable, stop and remove unwanted items; mostly through the Control Panel. Alternatively, there is a free tweaking application for Windows 7 along the lines of the famous tweakui (XP). This is called 'Ulimate Windows (7) Tweaker. If you are interested just try a search for this. Between these I think you'll find just about all the tweaks you need. If you are looking for a particular tweak just try a search; You are sure to find instructions or a tutorial. Some tweaks need a registry edit or an elevated command prompt .. much care needed and for the more experienced!

Hope this helps.

Now .. off to try to resolve a few more problems.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Finally, I was interested to read that in order to use 3.5 (or 4) of the full Kontakt that KP2 needs to be installed first. Just a couple of questions on this.

1. Does the full Kontat 3.5 or 4 then recognise and load the Garritan libraries.
    2. If so, can we then uninstall the KP2 or is this needed on the system for the full Kontakt to recognise Garritan Libraries?
    With KP4 you no longer need to install KP2. Just install the library, open KP4 standalone and click the Activate button in the Library Box or the Demo Timeout screen; This'll start Service Center asking for the library's S/N. Once the library is activated, restart KONTAKT PLAYER. If no Activate button is present in the Library Box afterwards, the product has been successfully activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    With KP4 you no longer need to install KP2. Just install the library, open KP4 standalone and click the Activate button in the Library Box or the Demo Timeout screen; This'll start Service Center asking for the library's S/N. Once the library is activated, restart KONTAKT PLAYER. If no Activate button is present in the Library Box afterwards, the product has been successfully activated.
    Hello again Nikie,

This is good news. I had read in a post in the NI forums that KP2 had to be installed and authorised first then it could be opened in Kontakt.

Being able to dispense with KP2 and to use the free (Demo) version of Kontakt 4 to play JaBB and CoMB is much better.

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Michael

Go Back to forum