• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little advice please

Share/Bookmark

A little advice please

I've been out of the loop for a few years now. I was using K. H. Emerald with GVI. Now that I'm retired I want to set up a good system for Symphonic Orchestra. I've always loved their strings. From what I've read I believe an I7 Quad core running Vista 64 bit and Kontakt 3.5 or 4 would do well. Comments welcome. I own Giga Studio but always had problems with it.

Q

As you may be aware, Giga is DOA at this point (the rights to it were purchased by Gary G. and where it will go from here is not certain.

For higher end orchestral libraries at this point you are probably looking at some combination of VSL, EWQL, SONIVOX, and/or various other recent string library (and other) releases. Doing forum searches (here and elsewhere) will provide much information.

Many companies, especially VSL, and EWQL, now have their own players and no longer use Kontakt (even GPO has its own player now).

Ultimately, the question comes down to your budget, and the type of music you wish to write. One would likely make a different primary library choice if looking to do concert music as opposed to film scoring.

A full blown VSL setup would not run well on one computer with only 8 gigs of ram, and library purchases could easily top $10,000. The VSL Special Edition libraries would make a good starting place, are much more budget friendly (though not inexpensive compared to KH or GPO), have the key articulations, and all the major instrument groups. The Special Edition libraries should run very well on one computer with 8 gigs of ram. My impression is that many do quite well with just the SE libaries (though some eventually add VSL's AP strings for lusher strings).

EWQL is also highly regarded, and most of the bugs have been worked out of the Play engine (for my own workflow, I personally much prefer VSL's approach, but everyone is different). Things are supposed to be improved even more once the Play Pro upgrade is released.

If you want to stay within Kontakt, SONIVOX remains an option, as well as the recently released LASS.

Anyway, HTH as a starting point.

Re: A little advice please

Thanks for the reply. I'm open to any ideas regarding players, DAWs and computers. What I do know is I like either Sonivox's library or VSL. Somewhere I got the idea VSL was an experts library. I suppose I could start off with the essential sections of VSL and use the upcoming player you mentioned. With Sonivox I assume Kontakt is the way to go. I have an older version of Sonar PE which I was planning on upgrading to the current version. I also plan on building my own computer around an I7 Quad with lots of ram and use Vista 64 bit. I would think, for my purposes, it would handle a fair amount of instruments.

Hi Commalot,

Check out East West's complete composer collection on special. 7 professional libraries for $1000.

I run a 6600 2.4 GhZ Quad core with 8G ram. OS is Vista 64 bit running Sonar 8 in 64 bit. Most of my plug-ins are 64 bit. I use 4x500G internal hardrives. I external hard drive to back up my music files.

My plug-ins include Omnisphere, Komplete 6, and Nearly all the East West libraries. I have no problem running any library. However I have not yet run a complete Orchestra with all instruments being used. The closest I have come is a Chamber Orchestra which works quite well.

Sonar 8 is very stable DAW and has some useful programs included.

Here are some suggestions:

- An i7 system with 8 to 12G ram should be ideal.
    - Check out windows 7. instead of Vista. However Vista 64 bit is quite
    stable and music software is compatible with it. Probably I would
    go with Vista just because w7 is so new. That's something I have yet
    to research.
    - Start with 2 hardrives. That way you can keep your OS and sample libraries separate.
    - Get an esata card for the computer so you can easily add fast external hard drives.
    -Have you considered an audio interface/soundcard? You will need something robust.
    - Use your new computer for music only. Save your old one for surfing.
    - For the music you wish to do East West will give you the best value for your money. If you need a synth omisphere is really amazing.
    - Keyboard controller?

As your interest is Orchestral music I would suggest visiting the East West forums as they have a lot of information specific to that.

Regards John

Thanks John. The East West offer is very tempting. That's a lot for the money. I paid $750 for Symphonic Choirs several years back and now you can get 7 libs for $995. I have all of Spectrasonics stuff except Trilian (ran out of room on my sample drive). On my current computer (Core 2 Duo) I'm using a M-Audio Firewire card. I plan on switching to a RME card. I picked Vista only because Win 7 is a bit new. Regarding Libraries, I guess I'm an old softy. I like the more intimate soft sound of Sonivox or VSL.

I'm about to upgrade and everything I've heard about W7 is great. I will be jumping from XP directly to W7 soon. Investigate before you make your desicion.

Halftone, interesting tip about the esata card. Never even heard of them before. When I saw external drives labeled as esata I didn't consider them because they are usually usb drives as well, am I mistaken? Do "esata only" external drives exist?

Hi Slinky

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Halftone, interesting tip about the esata card. Never even heard of them before. When I saw external drives labeled as esata I didn't consider them because they are usually usb drives as well, am I mistaken? Do "esata only" external drives exist?
    Yes they do. I would provide a link but there are many different providers. If you google esata external cards you will see what is available.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Regards John

I use a 1TB e-sata for HD video. The e-sata card was only $25 or so. With the new case and computer I'll get one that has at least 3 internal bays and use it just for music.
    I've been doing more reading and I'm leaning towards getting the VSL Special Edition Bundle that also comes with the "Vienna Ensemble" host and mixing software. They also throw in the Appassionata sections, or at least some of them.

Go Back to forum