• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Ring (Garritan remix)

Share/Bookmark

The Ring (Garritan remix)

This piece was originally written and produced back in 1999.
    This new Garritan remix (with additional support from the Roland SC-88) is my attempt to breath new life into an old friend. Difficult to classify the genre, the closest I can get is Celtic with jazz overtones, if that makes any sense

You can download or listen to the remix here http://www.box.net/shared/f3rdbt45r1

Hope you enjoy it.

Re: The Ring (Garritan remix)

Hey, I liked this. Nice flute part. May be a bit more volume (not that flute at the beginning, but when the orchestra falls in). How do you get those SC-88 sounds into your sequencer? Really a nice mix of two worlds.

Genre? I don't know. It sounds good that is most important.

Raymond

Re: The Ring (Garritan remix)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hey, I liked this. Nice flute part. May be a bit more volume (not that flute at the beginning, but when the orchestra falls in). How do you get those SC-88 sounds into your sequencer? Really a nice mix of two worlds.

Genre? I don't know. It sounds good that is most important.

Raymond
    Hello Raymond62,
    Gad you enjoyed the piece, and I note your comment on the imbalance in the initial flute/string cross-play. To be honest, I was too rushed in producing the Garritan strings, and do need to revisit them when I get some more free time.

Regarding recording from the SC-88, I use a fairly standard studio setup: I use a small external analog sub-mixer to combine the outputs from my external sound modules; the output from the sub-mixer is then fed to the analog input of my main digital mixer – two Yamaha DS2416 mixer cards in my home grown audio workstation (showing my age here I’m afraid). I use an external USB 4x4 M-Audio MIDI interface to route MIDI to the external sound modules.

The DAW software I use is Cakewalk Sonar Producer. Using Sonar, I solo and route the MIDI channel to the SC-88 MIDI port for the SC-88 part I want to record. I then simply set up an audio track in Sonar to record the main output from the digital mixer. Being an analog source, this has to be done in real-time of course; no luxury of bounce to tracks!.

That’s it basically, I then mixdown adding the Garritan VST instruments, any other soft synth parts, and any digital effects etc.

Thanks for your interest, Alan T

Go Back to forum