• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chaos Dreams

Share/Bookmark

NEW Chaos Dreams

New and improved!

I now have a complete first movment and it is at the link below - for those who have downloaded or listened to the first section this is the completed 1st (at least until now) movment at 6:16 in length.

Chaos Dreams

Best regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by wrayer; 01-20-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Updated version
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Chaos Dreams

Hi Bill;
    Well, I can tell you, right off-the-bat, I thought the piece was dark and full of strange and interesting harmonies. I am very interested to know what are the notes of the 2 Octave Scale you have devised? The results you have achieved using it are intriguing, original and well-handled!
    Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi Bill,

That was great! I loved the mix too ... what did you use for reverb?

I too would be interested in what the composed scale was (after I see the scale I may have a question on the harmony ).

Looking forward to hearing the next section.

Regards,

Frank

SD CISCO, to answer your qustion about the scale I have noted what I did to create this passage:

The scale I used is:
    G Ab C Db F Gb Bb Cb Eb E G
    min 2nd - Maj 3rd - min 2nd - Maj 3rd - min 2nd - Maj 3rd - min 2nd - Maj 3rd - min 2nd
    (aug prime) - min 3rd
    I used the minor 3rd on the end to reslove to the 2nd octave G
    Chords were built by a similar method in traditinal music. I used the I, IV and V chords:
    I = G-C-F
    IV = Db-Gb-Cb
    V = F-Bb-Eb
    There are many more chords, but I have elected not to use those in this sequence. The rests
    is composed as all music is composed. There is a melodic idea that is developed along with
    the use of contrapuntal imitation. The chords are used for a foundation and a rresting
    point.

Thank you for the kind words. I too find this dark and moody. I wanted a piece that would be frought with the feeling of the unknown. I may use this as the basis for my next novel which is well into the 7th chapter.

Thanks for listening.

FRANK D - I must say. I forgot all about reverb and used the default setting. I have gone back and reset it with +6.0 dry and -19.2 wet (a bit extreme maybe, but it keeps the dark quality. I hope you enjoyed the description of my composing process.

best regards all,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I just listened to this piece after your call at Stormy Moon. May I come back to that another time, it sounds so strange to my ears. Intriguing yes, but you leave me puzzled about the structure (beginning and end).

Raymond

I listened to it twice by now (there is so much to hear on this forum, and it's nice but not easy to comment, as sd cisco pointed out before), but I like this better than Stormy Moon. I'm not taken with the sound of the rendering (brass doesn't sit too well in the mix, and some lines could use more expression), but the music is interesting. It's not nice, but music doesn't have to be nice, as long as it captures the attention. The structure you obtained works for me. The phrases jump up and down, disappear and then pop up behind your back, but they work in this structure. I like it when an abstract idea is brought to music, but when it is not necessary to know the idea in order to appreciate the result: it shows originality and craftmanship. I also like the orchestration. It brings tension where a simpler version might just lose interest, and then releases it without ever getting it go completely. So, while it requires trained or at least accustomed ears, it's definitely worth a listen.
    Theo

Thanks Theo for the listen. Since this is only the start of the piece, I expect it will change as I get into it. I am trying to "paint" a musical "landscape". If you or anyone else here has listened to Elliott Carter, you will recognize the arena that I have entered into. Elliott is over 100 yrs old and still composing. He is well beyond my meager attempts at composition, but I do recognize in his music the attmept to relase the 'bondage' of the barline and the attributes we hold dear to traditional music - classical form, harmony, phrasing, etc. I liken his music to that of an expanding universe, you never know what you are going to discover around the next bend...

Enough prattle,
    Thanks again for the listen and I will post more as the piece develops.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

This is a VERY interesting track Bill, and I mean that in a very good way. I can't put my finger on any one thing that catches my ear, it's just the total package that makes this track work. Well done!

This is one of those tracks I would love to do a mix & master of.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hello again Bill;
    I when I read your reply to my comments from the other day, I took note of

"I may use this as the basis for my next novel which is well into the 7th chapter.

Bill, could I get you to elaborate just a little about your next novel?? If the novel is in it's 7th Chapter, perhaps it is the novel which is the basis for this music? If that were true, then knowing something of the novel would help me to connect more dots, and gain an added degree of insight into what the music represents, to you.

Thanks again for sharing, I recognize it is still a work-in-progress, as is the novel.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    "I may use this as the basis for my next novel which is well into the 7th chapter.

Bill, could I get you to elaborate just a little about your next novel?? If the novel is in it's 7th Chapter, perhaps it is the novel which is the basis for this music?

Well the mood of the 2nd novel of the trilogy is sombre if not menacing. The human race has just gained a friend in mentor im a race that was influentuial in our development - now both are threatened by a menacing race that is just out to harvest resources for its own good.

So the music to me represents the feat of what is unknown - of the foreboding dark mystery of the unknown, a threat to our existence.

If this helps in anyway to understand Chaos Dreams, I am glad I was able to help. The first novel was a mild success and I wrote a 4 movement symphonic poem for it.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast