Topic: Solo for clarinet in 3 movements

Share/Bookmark

Solo for clarinet in 3 movements

Clarinet solo with piano accompaniment.
    Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=8555931&q=hi

Re: Solo for clarinet in 3 movements

Hey Gary!

Was surprised to see this one slipped to the second page without being commented on!

The first movement certainly has a nice whimsical feel, which is actually quite nice considering I'm not a huge fan of atonal music. The second movement provides a nice contrast to the first. I could see this as the depiction of a child who is in an extremely playful (perhaps even hyper) mood in the first movement, then relaxed, or tired in the second. I like how the third movement continues the whimsical feel, but in more of a subdued way. Perhaps as the child drifts off into a dream-world?

Anyways, I greatly enjoyed this post, thanks!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks for listening, Michael.
    I have considered that technical difficulty(of performance) along with
    constant shifts can confuse the listener's ear. Sometimes it may take more than one listening.
    Gary

I wouldn't exactly call this "atonal"... it's more of a greatly expanded modalism. There is obviously a form of tonal center to it.

I really like the 1st movement. It is unabashedly "American" sounding. It has the wide leaps and that open harmony feel. A little bit like the music of Vincent Persichetti.

The adagio IS quite beautiful.

It's funny, I hear a bit of "french" in the final movement. Let's say something Poulenc might have approached had he lived a bit longer. There is a definite naiveté to it. It's lovely.

My favourite, I think is the first movement.

Thanks for listening, Michael.
    I had to go back & listen. You made it sound grand.
    I suppose we all wear our feelings on our sleeves when we post, but an occasional good comment feels good.

Gary

Gary, I see no reason to post anything but "good comments" regarding this work! It IS a good work, it merits good comments.

Might you consider forwarding me a score of it? I have an excellent clarinetist who might enjoy playing possibly a movement from it at the Music Festival next May. Since 2010 would have been Samuel Barber's 100th anniversary we diced last year that the over-all focus of the 2010 edition of the Festival of music and arts would be "music of the Americas". What lovelier way to celebrate that than by playing a premiere?

Hi MIchael,
    I'll send a pdf file of score & individual clarinet part this afternoon. I have a dental appointment this afternoon.

Gary

Go Back to forum