• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fantasia "Eco" - Adriano Banchieri 1568-1534

Share/Bookmark

Fantasia "Eco" - Adriano Banchieri 1568-1634

Hello and Happy New Year from the Frozen North!!

Here we have a piece of music from the Renaissance Era, Fantasia "Eco", by Italian Adriano Banchieri 1568-1634. I don't know anything about the origins or intent of this music, I came across it as a Midi file for 4 voices which was created by one Mathieu Ouellet and the file size was a scant 5K. I elaborated on the arrangement by adding parts and transposing sections to bring the musical themes more to the fore. It was not important to me to stick to a period orchestral sound with this piece, but instead, to try and dramatize the chivalrous and noble themes. To me, the music speaks of the ironies and weighty decisions which rested upon the shoulders of a King.

Fantasia Eco - Adriano Banchieri 1568-1634

Best wishes for a great Twenty-ten!!

sd cisco

Re: Fantasia "Eco" - Adriano Banchieri 1568-1534

Sounds nice SD.

"I came across it as a Midi file for 4 voices" I'll never understand midi, no way no how. It just ain't gonna happen in my life time.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi sd.
    What a pleasure you choose this italian master to work on.
    Pretty good job. It miss just a little bit of ambience, but it's a matter of personal taste.
    I guess you know what Canadian Brass has done with this kind of period music in the past (I mean an interesting arrangement of Gabrieli's Miserere et al.)
    Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Sounds nice SD.

"I came across it as a Midi file for 4 voices" I'll never understand midi, no way no how. It just ain't gonna happen in my life time.
    Thank you my Friend!
    On the Midi subject, I don't know how you do things for sure, I wonder if you use a DAW like Sonar or Cubase? I use Cubase and it is pretty easy to first import the Midi file, then assign the Aria Player to each track. If you don't know what Midi channel is for what track, what I sometimes do is just select OM from the Midi channel drop down for the appropriate track in the Aria Player.
    Thanks again,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Hi sd.
    What a pleasure you choose this italian master to work on.
    Pretty good job. It miss just a little bit of ambience, but it's a matter of personal taste.
    I guess you know what Canadian Brass has done with this kind of period music in the past (I mean an interesting arrangement of Gabrieli's Miserere et al.)
    Greetings

Hello Fabio;

Thank you for your kind remarks - it was a pleasure working on it!
    Banchieri was not only a prolific composer, but also renowned theorist, organist, playwrite and poet!
    And I am well familiar with Canadian Brass, they were a staple on the CBC in days gone by, back when the CBC owned the airwaves!! (Canadian Content!)

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Nice job, sd (if you don't mind me calling you by your first name ). You might not have aimed for a period sound, but it sounds like it anyway. The only thing missing is a lute...

I'd never heard of this composer before, so that makes it even more interesting. But you did manage to make an interesting and accessible arrangement out of these 4 voices. Kudos!
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Thank you my Friend!
    On the Midi subject, I don't know how you do things for sure, I wonder if you use a DAW like Sonar or Cubase? I use Cubase and it is pretty easy to first import the Midi file, then assign the Aria Player to each track. If you don't know what Midi channel is for what track, what I sometimes do is just select OM from the Midi channel drop down for the appropriate track in the Aria Player.
    Thanks again,
    sd cisco
    I did my first two songs using midi and Cubase, it was fun but some glitches popped up with Cuebase and I gave up on midi stuff and went back to what I know. Live Recording or as you all call it Stand Alone. Works great for me, I'm old school as in plug it in, turn it up and record it. I use two computers, one for play back and the other to record on and mix & master. I use Magix Music Studio delux 2004 and Soundforge 8.

"and it is pretty easy to first import the Midi file, then assign the Aria Player to each track. If you don't know what Midi channel is for what track, what I sometimes do is just select OM from the Midi channel drop down for the appropriate track in the Aria Player."

What you said there is all Chinese to me. Now I need a beer.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

This style speaks for itself.
    Fifty years ahead of JS Bach, mostly Renassaince (?) in nature.
    From the age when Brass were KINGS.
    Cathedrals were built for the sole purpose of performance of Brass Ensembles. The predecessor to the Violin family(Voles) were weak, wimpy instruments with poor projection. Woodwinds were mostly oboes, bassoons & flutes. Brass clubs were formed for only High Brass or Low Brass.
    You hear mainly rounds & imitation rather than the more complicated polyphony & Fugues of the Baroque. Some date the Baroque Period as dating from 1600 but I like Bachs birth in 1865.

Gary

Hi Gary;
    I am sure you meant before JS Bach's birth in 1685, not 1885, although there may well have been several Bach's born in 1885, just not the Bach you mention. Also, it looks more like 117 years separate the births of Banchieri and JS Bach, not 50 years. When you think of it, historically speaking, 117 years is quite a long time. Consider the differences in America culture between 1868 and 1985!
    The funny thing is, great as JS Bach was, I have read many times that he is considered a "late" Baroque composer! Go figure!
    Nonetheless, I place a high value on some of the so-called "Early Music", whether that means Renaissance Music or music which predates that period.
    I find in this music some of the elementary fixtures of modern musical expression. Not every element and convention has survived down the Ages, just the things people could not part with, for one reason or another. So I find this early music to be full of surprises and strange turns of phrase, not unlike comparing today's English to that of Tudor England, for example.
    Thank you for the information regarding the dominance of Brass instruments during these times, at least on occasions where you wanted the music to be loud and commanding. But don't forget the gentle Lute and Recorder for more intimate settings!
    Thank you for your comments, etc.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Nice job, sd (if you don't mind me calling you by your first name ). You might not have aimed for a period sound, but it sounds like it anyway. The only thing missing is a lute...

I'd never heard of this composer before, so that makes it even more interesting. But you did manage to make an interesting and accessible arrangement out of these 4 voices. Kudos!
    Hello Theo;
    Don't know how I missed your remarks last night, must have been quite exhausted!! Thank you for listening and your comments. I agree, the piece does not keep it's origins a secret, except for the Timpani!! Even modern orchestras don't likely have that many Timpanists at work!! What I found with this piece and others that are similar is that if you take the bass line, duplicate the track and give it a Timpani voice instead of the original bass voice, but playing the same notes, it really anchors the Timpani hits because they blend with the bass voice. Oh well, this isn't reality, just fantasy, what matters most is the overall effect, to me at least. I have actually worked on quite a number of pieces from the pre-Baroque era and am facinated with them and the little strands of musical DNA I find in them which have made it thru to modern times, while others were left behind.
    Re; 1st name basis; Lots of people call me sd, sometimes even in person, so no problem!!
    Take care,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast