• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help between Cubase 4 and Kontakt please

Share/Bookmark

Help between Cubase 4 and Kontakt please

Happy New Year everyone,

As part of my renewed effort as a composer, this year I am going to try to learn more than any other year about all aspects of my craft. There are many things that I am almost ashamed of never getting around to learning. Now it's time to roll up my sleeves and get busy.

My most recent quest is to find out the best way to run my current setup on my Sonica Labs XP 32 quad-core with 4 gigs of ram. It's been a great machine but the ram limit (2 gigs per ap right?) certainly sucks when trying to build a great template. I have a slave machine but it's on it's last legs at this point and it was only a single core 2.6 in the first place.

As much as I'd like to move to a Mac Pro with lots of ram, I dont at all have the funds for that. At a certain point, I plan on putting a 4th hard drive in this quad-core with Windows 7 64 bit on it and then running a dual boot so I keep my current configuration and can start a new one also with all my libraries still using the sample drive. I currently have 3 SATA drives for system, samples, and audio. They are all internal.

I currently run Cubase 4.52 and use EWQLSO as my primary orchestral library with Kontakt 3.5. So I guess my first question is about K3.5. Is the new ram feature only for 64 bit OS's? Seems to me that the Windows task manager still shows Cubase as the only thing hogging all the ram when I load up a bunch of instruments in Kontakt as a plug-in.

Is there a cheap way for me to run Cubase AND K3.5 outside of cubase so they each have their own ram? I was just thinking that I could then use Kontakt as a plugin and as a stand alone and utilize the 2 gigs in each? Or am I just sounding rediculous. Alex Pfeiffer mentioned that I could use Bidule or VSL for this but I have no experience with either. Is VSL the same as the library company Vienna Symphonic Library? And to throw more fuel on the fire, can rewire be used to do any of this? Does Cubase have rewire built in or do I need another program for that?

Thanks for all the help. This is going to be the year of learning. (Hope it doesnt annoy anyone too much)

Eric

Re: Help between Cubase 4 and Kontakt please

I am running two Dinosaur machines. About to upgrade to a quad.
    My main machine is Cubase on a P4 2.4 and my slave is the same thing (but a 2.8) using Kontakt 2 with 2gig of ram. I have managed to get over thirty instruments going on my slave machine in Kontakt (standalone) just using an internal 7200 drive dedicated to samples. All this is to say that you could get some use out of that old machine.

Hi Eric,

I had a similar set up, including Cubase, so here are my advices.

1.-Use the 3Gb Switch in all machines you have 4 Gb of RAM, I was reticent until I tested it. It is really worth it and I didn't have any problem.

2.-If you want to use Kontakt in your slave machine (single core) use fx teleport. Man, I have loaded more things that I thought and run them without problems in a single core. I tested VE Pro with a single core, but it is much more demanding than fx teleport. So, I don't recommend VE pro for single core pcs, but absolutely yes for new machines.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Tari
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Thanks guys. I did try the 3 gig switch today and I am impressed. Now I'm wondering why I didnt do this years ago. Lol.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a secondary drive going for the slave too. Right now it's back down to 1 hard drive so I definitely need to add a sample drive before I can load K3 back on there. Thanks guys!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    I did try the 3 gig switch today and I am impressed. Now I'm wondering why I didnt do this years ago. Lol.
    That's exactly what I thought when I tested it
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Go Back to forum