• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 pops/clicks vs GPOk2

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 pops/clicks vs GPOk2

I'm new to this forum, so, first off, hello.

My software setup is Sonar 7 PE using both GPO with kontakt2 (KP2) as well as GPO4 with Aria) as VSTs.

My issue is simply that GPO4 (with aria) pops and clicks during record and playback but the exact same input plays smoothly in KP2. I've setup both synths in a side-by-side comparison simply flipping the inputs/outputs appropriately to test. I am using the solo english horn sample with the steinway grand (2 separate synth instances).

I'm pretty confident my hardware is not the issue: 8-cores, 8GB ram running windows 7 x64.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful or, if this topic has been addressed before, please point me to the relevant thread.

thanks in advance.

Re: GPO4 pops/clicks vs GPOk2

Hi newcomer,

what is in a name? You know "der Abgang". Sonar is allright, both players are allright too. Now your soundcard system? Does it have ASIO buffering?
    If so, play around with the buffering in Sonar.

Look at Options/Audio/Advanced. There you can alter the buffersetting. Experiment with them (and read the helpfiles). Also set "Use multiprocessing engine" when you can.

All errors belong to me , greetings from Holland,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hi newcomer,

what is in a name? You know "der Abgang".
    yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Sonar is allright, both players are allright too. Now your soundcard system? Does it have ASIO buffering?
    If so, play around with the buffering in Sonar.
    I've played and have improved aria (not perfect though) by raising ASIO buffer size from 256, up through 1024. Latency by 1024 is simply too much for real time input. My sound card(s) are both m-audio: 2496 and the delta-1010.

I also have multiprocessing engine checked.

I think my main concern is that this simply doesn't happen with the KP2 VST. So apparently Aria is doing much more behind the scenes which is taxing something somewhere (btw, I also switched off ambience but that didn't help).

As another test, I loaded up 3 KP2 VSTs with 6+ samples each and input a few measures with more than 14 channels going through them -- no problems. I added 1 aria instance with 1 sample (english horn and a few other woodwinds) and cracks and pops began. I isolated the crackling output onto a separate output channel from the delta.

... thanks for chiming in.

As I remember well - I once had the 2496 - you can also use WDM drivers.
    Try those.

Raymond

May i ask where the samples are installed?
    and if you get "disk losses" on the settings tab?
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    May i ask where the samples are installed?
    and if you get "disk losses" on the settings tab?
    The samples are on a separate WD300GB SATA drive. I just tested the Flute Solo KS and there was 0.015% disk activity, Disk Loss=0 for the opening 9 measures of aaron copland's lincoln portrait but at least 4 pops. Some other numbers from the settings page:

SampleRate: 96000
    BZize(cur) 512)
    BZize(max) 512)
    RAM DIRECT: 0.45 MB
    RAM LOOP: 0.00 MB
    RAM STRM: 10.88 MB
    RAM STRMX: 0.62 MB
    RAM TOTAL: 11.95 MB
    DYN MAX: 256 MB
    Pre Caching: 32Kb
    Quality: normal

(all disk numbers stayed on 0.00 for the second test but there were coincidentally more clicks)

... thanks for taking the time and let me know if you need other setting information and such.

Hi

1)Is it sonar 32 bits or 64 bits?
    2)does closing the ARIA Player UI has any incidence on the clicks?
    2B)what video card does your system have.

Sonar 8.5 fixed tons of UI problems on VST UIs. any chance for an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    1)Is it sonar 32 bits or 64 bits?
    x64

2)does closing the ARIA Player UI has any incidence on the clicks?
    As a matter of fact, yes it did! very interesting...

2B)what video card does your system have.
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Sonar 8.5 fixed tons of UI problems on VST UIs. any chance for an upgrade?
    Hrmmm... I just added another CPU ($$), 4 more GB of RAM ($$) and upgraded to windows 7 x64 ultimate ($$) all within the last month. Unless cakewalk is willing to give me 8.5 for a rock-bottom upgrade price, I don't think it's in the cards for while.

Just as a side question... the only reason I leave the UI open is to fiddle with panning and volume and the reason for that is because I can't seem to control those params with MIDI CCs 7/10. How do I set Aria to understand those MIDI CCs? If I can get that to work, I guess leaving the UI closed is a good enough work around until an upgrade is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by derAbgang View Post
    Unless cakewalk is willing to give me 8.5 for a rock-bottom upgrade price, I don't think it's in the cards for while.
    Cakewalk's web site does offer lower upgrade prices - including some free, depending on where and how long ago you bought Sonar 8.

Hi

x64, ok as an other check, make sure ARIA PlayerVST x64.dll is the only ARIA related VST in sonar's path, make sure it doesnt use 32 bit bridge and the "ARIA PlayerVST x86.dll" version.

The UI issue with ARIA compared to say K2, is that Soanr versions prior to 8.5 badly handled VST UI refresh calls and locked the audio thread while the refreshes were being done on the plugin side. Aria assumes the refreshes are done in a separate thread, which causes the clicks in old sonars. My guess is that K2 does their own refreshes on their end.

We have a registry based hack to enable refreshes on our end (and not let the Host interfere with it), but its only available in a yet unreleased versions of ARIA player afaik (Going back to the office tomorrow)

Aria should handle CC7 and CC10 on its own, but sonar manage them itself so you need to use the MIDI pan/vol on the sonar mixers, which does get to us.

Someone more familiar with sonar might chime in on this...

Go Back to forum