• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are Samplelibraries ready for serious interpretation of traditional music?

Share/Bookmark

Are Samplelibraries ready for serious interpretation of traditional music?

Hi everybody,
    I've just put my new Musicwebsite online www.sf-media.12hp.de, with more than one GB mp3's with the complete Welltempered Piano II, the complete Haydn Sonatas, the complete Liszt Studies and lots of other Pieces mostly with piano.

All recordings are trying to proof, if samplelibaries are ready to meet the demands of traditional musical interpretation.
    I am curious, what you think about.
    best
    Steffen

P.S.: Since the Site is bilingual and, I dont have that much confidence in my own english as a german, I would be glad for any hint, that might improve the wording of the english version.

Re: Are Samplelibraries ready for serious interpretation of traditional music?

I would say it depends on if the player is ready or not....
    Sample libraries have long been able to interpret, but the people who are fully able to understand the real interpretation of traditional music are sitting in the orchestra playing the real thing....Sample libraries are there to set a different standard to music than the real thing.

And what makes Sample Libraries so fantastic is that you determine for yourself whats traditional or not, pending on the realism and quality the instrument is equipped with.
    I'd say leave the traditional stuff to the people who can afford a real orchestra. Sample Libraries are there for the newer, more dynamic genres...(nothing against the classics though)

Oh....almost forgot...
    Love the music on your page!
    The BBB demo is genius!

Hi Heckler,
    First thank you for your kind estimation of my short demos in the flashplayer of the startsite.

Having studied piano and practiced aswell the "dynamic" aswell as "traditional" music, I dont think I have to sit in an orchestra to interpret or compose traditional pianomusic or any music else, that keeps the relation to or rich musical tradition alive without ignoring what is developed so dynamicly.

I myself think one can inspire the other. But I admit this is for everyone a very personal matter of taste and I know that often in musical history people have been also inspired by "breaking the habits" of musical tradition.

But in a way - especially for more conservative fans of classical music - this is exactly what I do, when I try to compose Interpretation with thoses samplers and sequencers more than to exercise it as it would be done with the traditionally daily training (what I've naturally done to).
    best
    fahl5

Wink Re: Are Samplelibraries ready for serious interpretation of traditional music?

my opinion is that Hecler point is totally true.

The most of the sample library pro users are pop or soundtrack composers and frequently lack skills and taste in classical music interpretation simply because they don't need and were not intersted in.

When some classically educated musician try to make good interpretation frequently lack technical and sound engineering skills more or less for the same reason above.

to master both classical music and digital music is a rare combination, but when it happens, results are amazing.

I think that for piano music, as for symphonic music you may make very serious recordings, competing with real recordings for beauty and artistic value.

I think that for chamber music we are not yet technically ready: but some promising researches are running (e.g. Samplemodeling instruments or WiVi).

Last point is the amount of work requested:
    - a rough mock up is easy to do, quite faster than playing live with real musicians, but for final recording it's the opposite, real musicians reach faster excellent result if they are good. To refine a midi and audio virtual recording is exausting work, due to the big amount of musical (midi expressions and articulations plus tempo track) and technical (eq, ambience and panning) details to manage.
    - the amount of realism requested if you want to compare your work to real live players and not to excessive perfection. must include noises, tempo misalignements and detuning tipical of human play, otherwise you wont sound real at all: but doing it is an additional time consuming and challenging discipline.

Your site music is at top level in some sample (congratulations!), and is a little weak in the areas I pointed out above.
    In the last 5 years I posted several classical music mock up as you do, just search for it to understand what I say.
    Other well known pro and amateurs did the same for fun or for demo of sample libraries, as I did, and you did.
    Listening to it give the answer to your question IMHO.

Hi Fabio,

Thank you very much for your very understanding reaction. I feel quite well understood and quite right judged.

I myself know that of course not all recordings are of as accomplished as some lucky ones perhaps might be. (The only about one could really say this seems to be Bach)

But I loved to do all, thats why I also show on my site perhaps some less perfect since they still contribute in their own way to a whole thing.
    I hope at least you dont find really offending bad ones I should better hide. If so let me know! (...meanwhile I would also accept if you like to name those you like best;-)

All in all, you just pointed out literally, the musical interesting challenge which made me exploring of this way to make music.

best
    Steffen

Go Back to forum