• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA samples on separate drive?

Share/Bookmark

ARIA samples on separate drive?

Okay, I have searched a couple of times for the answer. Yes, I am impatient doing searches because you have to have exactly the right wording or you find nothing pertinent. And if I knew what I was looking for, I would not have to search anyway!

Can you or How can you install the Samples for ARIA on a different drive than C: drive which is where the Garritan ARIA engine and files are located. I would like to put the samples on an E: drive and only access it when I need the samples and not have the samples residing on C: for all the program files. Multi-tasking or otherwise HDs can bog down when accessing multiple files.

Do I have to re-install the Garritan stuff for ARIA and install them all on the other drive or can I simply move the Personal Orchestra 4 folder to the E: drive and tell ARIA where it is at. I was able to do it that way in Kontakt Player but I (for the life of me) can't find how to do that in ARIA.

Thanks for any comments guys, It is appreciated.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: ARIA samples on separate drive?

Hey RichR,

Someone just asked this same question on the "Support and Technical" forum or area (not sure what to call it). Anyway I answered that in theory it doesn't matter since Aria loads samples in memory and to the best of my knowledge doesn't stream from disk. So I don't believe the sample files are accessed while they are being used, but only when they are initially loaded.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because there are a couple other users I gave ill advice to if I'm wrong

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I answered that in theory it doesn't matter since Aria loads samples in memory and to the best of my knowledge doesn't stream from disk. So I don't believe the sample files are accessed while they are being used, but only when they are initially loaded.
    Can't be. The size of the Steinway would prohibit this. There has to be some disk streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    Can't be. The size of the Steinway would prohibit this. There has to be some disk streaming.

I have the gofriller strad and aria samples on a different drive, and use all three together.

I don't have the fastest computer, nor extremely fast hard drives. still all works fine.

For a detailed recipe I'll have to refer to my notes, which are at home, but the short version is this:
    1) install GPO4
    2) move the samples folder to wherever you want
    3) when Aria complains tell it where they are

It's that last point that may be incorrect - I may have had to edit the registry to get it to work, but whatever it was I had to do, it was a five minute task... and these days those are rare enough to be memorable<G>!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

I guess I wasn't clear as to what I am looking for. I can't get ARIA to look anywhere for the samples other than where I originally installed them on C: drive in Program Files/Garritan. I would like to move the samples to E: so as to free up space on my C: drive which has my OS on it.

Can I just move the Garritan folder or do I have to re-install on the E: drive?

Thanks everyone.

Rich

I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I did not have to reinstall anything. If Aria didn't ask for the new location (and really, it should, note to developers<G>), then it was as simple as a registry edit.

If you can be patient I'll send you detailed instructions this evening when I get home.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Thanks wst3ae, I will be patient.

Rich

I would really like to know this too! I want to move the files from C to E because that's where I have all my other files. SO if I move the files how do I tell the Aria player where they are ?????
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum