• Register
  • Help

Topic: External drives for VSTI

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation External drives for VSTI

day by day vst n sound samples and sfx library are increasing...so i was planning to buy a FW external drive for vsti's

Is it good to have FW or e sata external hard drive to run n stream all those huge vsti sample libraries ????

or what would be the other option for huge storage
    coz every no and than its problem shiftin ur samples to bigger harddisk when short of space

Re: External drives for VSTI

Options and tips:
    ---Add an internal SATA hard drive, at least 7200 rpm
    ---Add an external eSATA hard drive, at least 7200 rpm
    ---Avoid Firewire when possible and do not consider USB. If you do use Firewire, you're better on a Mac with Firewire 800 than Firewire 400 on a PC. Firewire will work, so don't misunderestand, but eSATA would be better if you want an external drive. And yes, samples on a separate drive are the way to go...............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Options and tips:
    ---Add an internal SATA hard drive, at least 7200 rpm
    ---Add an external eSATA hard drive, at least 7200 rpm
    ---Avoid Firewire when possible and do not consider USB. If you do use Firewire, you're better on a Mac with Firewire 800 than Firewire 400 on a PC. Firewire will work, so don't misunderestand, but eSATA would be better if you want an external drive. And yes, samples on a separate drive are the way to go...............playz
    Just to clear the confusion u saying that i can use external hard drive
    for samples and vsts they are a good bet ??
    do u use an external drive for the same .... while playing those samples thru cubase dose it give any problem or latency issues or glitches while streaming ???
    if u have used it it and if its working tht will be great for me coz my waiting for
    ext drive for samples big time hope it works

Btw, you can have FW 800 on a PC as well.
    I used FW 400 on a PC for samples and had no problems till it died.
    When it broke down I switched to internal SATA 7200 which is quite good.
    I managed between thirty and fourty instruments in Kontakt.

Not to hijack a thread, but since we're asking about external drives for VI's, can anyone advise on the following 2 questions:

1. What is the problem with USB2 (my macbook pro does not do E-SATA, though it does do USB and FW800)?

2. Is the approach to install the entire VI onto the external drive (this is different from the way it's normally done in Windows world (I'm new to the mac platform ), which is to install the .dll file to the c: drive and the large library files to the external drive)?

I'm having some trouble getting my Spectrasonics instruments installed on my macbook pro - it doesn't give me the option to install different parts to different locations, so I'm assuming it's all to be installed on the external drive. Omnisphere installed fine this way, but Stylus RMX is not showing up, though the files are there.

A work in progress . . .

Thanks for your help.

bzb

1. Re. firewire and USB 2, have a look at the info on this site:
    http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm
    The info there wiill answer your question. I'd suggest that you use Firewire 800, if you can't use eSATA.
    2. No, on a Mac you install the instrument on your main drive and the sample library on a separate drive...the same approach as on a PC. Normally just go with the default install for the instrument (on to your main Mac hard drive), and then choose your second or external drive as the location path for the library. Steam libraries need to be in the same main folder on the library drive.
    3. All the Spectrasonic instruments are installed on my Mac as described above, so you may be missing something during the install process. If you can't figure out what, then simply move the library to the drive you want and create an alias (equivalent to a shortcut on a PC) to the new location for the library. The 'moving the library' procedure is described in detail in the FAQ section at Spectrasonics. When installing, it's also very important to follow, step-by step, the instructions provided in the guide book that comes with each instrument.
    If you've just moved from a PC to a Mac, things will seem a little strange for awhile, but I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly. Regards.......playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

1. Re. firewire and USB 2, have a look at the info on this site:
    http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm
    The info there wiill answer your question. I'd suggest that you use Firewire 800, if you can't use eSATA.
    Thanks, Playz - I believe, I believe - But: the question which NOW presents itself is - which would be preferable for a macbook pro: an external drive connected to the laptop directly via FireWire 800; or an external drive connected to an e-SATA adapter card plugged into the laptop's ExpressCard slot? 8-) If that question is silly, please just ignore it.

2. No, on a Mac you install the instrument on your main drive and the sample library on a separate drive...the same approach as on a PC. Normally just go with the default install for the instrument (on to your main Mac hard drive), and then choose your second or external drive as the location path for the library. Steam libraries need to be in the same main folder on the library drive.
    3. All the Spectrasonic instruments are installed on my Mac as described above, so you may be missing something during the install process. If you can't figure out what, then simply move the library to the drive you want and create an alias (equivalent to a shortcut on a PC) to the new location for the library. The 'moving the library' procedure is described in detail in the FAQ section at Spectrasonics. When installing, it's also very important to follow, step-by step, the instructions provided in the guide book that comes with each instrument.
    Thanks for the input - I double-checked and they're all in there, I'll bring 'em all up-to-date, and then just move the Stylus library over to the external drive. Updating should clear up the issues, according to the Spectrasonics FAQ. I did an install direct the mac hd drive, so I'll correct that when everything's current.

If you've just moved from a PC to a Mac, things will seem a little strange for awhile, but I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly. Regards.......playz
    Mostly it's that I can't figure what to look for when things don't go the way I expect. In WinXP, I'm pretty capable, or at least I'd know where to look for the trouble. On the mac, I'm in pretty deep . . . but I'm sure it'll sort itself out with a bit of time. Thanks again.

bzb

Re: "But: the question which NOW presents itself is - which would be preferable for a macbook pro: an external drive connected to the laptop directly via FireWire 800; or an external drive connected to an e-SATA adapter card plugged into the laptop's ExpressCard slot?"
    ---In order of most preferred to least, it's eSATA, then Firewire 800, then Firewire 400 then USB 2.

I too came from a long association with PCs to the world of Macs just over a year ago, and have never looked back. I'm still learning too, but enjoying it, and have no regrets at all. Hope you enjoy a similar experience. Cheers...........playz

Go Back to forum