• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where are some SERIOUS Timpani??

Share/Bookmark

Where are some SERIOUS Timpani??

Been using VSL for ages for timpani, but they are anemic IMHO. Do you guys have suggestions for some powerful timps out there?

Thanks
    Tom H
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Post Re: Where are some SERIOUS Timpani??

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    Been using VSL for ages for timpani, but they are anemic IMHO. Do you guys have suggestions for some powerful timps out there?
    Tom H
    Howz about:
    http://www.westgatestudios.com/timpani.htm
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: Where are some SERIOUS Timpani??

Hey thanks, sounds great....

I must be living in an alternate universe, I had not heard the Westgate stuff, and the demos, especially the oboe, sound really really good.

Anyone with Westgate experience ....are they as good and playable as these demos sound? The oboe kills the VSL one I use

Thanks
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Post Re: Where are some SERIOUS Timpani??

Anyone with Westgate experience ....are they as good and playable as these demos sound? The oboe kills the VSL one I use
    All of the Westgate stuff are solid performers. Get all their woods and Hollywoodwinds and you would have the woods covered.
    The SAMS percussion is uniformly good, but I was not sure you wanted to get a whole lib just for timps.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Hi,

I agree - The Westgate Libraries are very very good. They are my go-to for winds and solo horn. The timpani is on my list to get as soon as I can.

I also have True Strike Starter kit and adore the timpani in that library, but it may not be practical in your situation if you only need timpani.

I'd personally suggest the Westgate route.

Take Care,
    Steph

Hey thanks all.

Who do you think has the most "cinematic"...i.e. large sounding.... timps regardless of whether they are part of a collection or individual like the Westgate...just curious....

Thanks
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom
    Do you have an example of the Westgate oboe that sounds good? I'm not 100% happy with the VSL one either, but to me the Westgate sounds pretty awful in comparison. Maybe it;'s just that the demo is not good. it's the legato that I really need. I find the VSL one rather uneven in tone, and it takes a lot of tweaking to sound even close to what I hear with a real player.

Thanks.

D

I have the Westgate clarinets and French Horns. I no longer use any other library for those instruments. I had shied away from French Horns in my compositions because I was just not happy with the samples in any of the other libraries I own. Westgate changed all that for me.

Allegro Data Solutions

I love the legato horns in VSL. I've used live horns for years and now no longer need to.

The Westgate example of their oboe sounds great to me. We all listen with different ears!

There is just something not particularly expressive to me about the VSL oboe. Listen to the beginning of a pop song such as The Carpenters "Superstar"....I'm looking for a sampled oboe that will do that

TH

Who do you think has the most "cinematic"....
    Well, for bigness there are always SAMS; I would think that the Westgate would be more flexible: you would get it for the same reason you would get a solo instrument.

The Westgate French Horns has been on my list for a while, and I would get it for the stops and mutes, some which seems missing or incomplete from other libs.

I don't know about the different oboe's available. The best E-Horn in my lib is still from my old and very useful Advanced Orchestra Woodwinds (or was it Roland :^), which I would pay money for someone to turn the many articulations into key switched instruments.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum