• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 / Aria

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 / Aria

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall my DAW box so I'm taking this opportunity to clean some stuff up. I'm still running the old 1.x version of GPO, and because I'm trying to reduce third party licensing hassles, the thought of ditching NI and moving to Gary's Aria engine is appealing.

My core setup is Nuendo for DAW, Sonar for MIDI, and occasionally Cool Edit Pro for deep waveform editing, running on XP SP2. Never had a lick of trouble with GPO, but thought I'd check since it's using a different audio engine these days. Does Aria play nice with others, or are there known issues I should keep an eye out for?

Also, anyone running it on Windows 7? I've been using XP but it's getting harder and harder to buy a new box where XP drivers are assured.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: GPO4 / Aria

Hello Christopher, long time no see.

Aria is a solid, stable engine that you should have no worries with. Moving to GPO4 is not only a good move to get Aria, you get some instrument improvements also, mostly in brass.

Windows 7 compatibility is still hit and miss depending on what you are running. Do the homework of checking each piece of software and hardware that you need to have to get music done with. For instance, I use Bento and I have created a checklist that shows Snow Leopard compatibility and Windows 7 compatibility. I won't move until both hardware and software that I need have checkmarks beside them. For instance, my MOTU 828MK2 has Snow Leopard compatibility, but Ethno instrument doesn't. I'm not budging off off Leopard until Ethno (and others) are supported.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hi Christopher,

Aria and GPO4 have been tested and run excellently on Windows 7. As Kevin mentioned, you might experience trouble with the audio interface. However, the Win7 audio architecture is very close to Vista's, and most Vista drivers will work. In some cases you need to tweak the installer to think it's Vista or set the firewire controller to "Legacy" mode.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Hello Christopher, long time no see.
    -Kevin
    Hey, man. How you been?

Yeah, I figured the news on Aria would be all good, but thought I'd check just the same...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Christopher,

Aria and GPO4 have been tested and run excellently on Windows 7.
    Good to know, thanks. Gad, but I hate buying new computers...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hello Christopher,

I've been using GPO4 Aria with Windows 7 and it works beautifully. I could never go back to Vista.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum