• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Need Brass advice

Share/Bookmark

Need Brass advice

What\'s the best brass combination for TV/film work? I\'m guessing I need to mix and match sets a bit in order to get my dream brass section.

Libraries I have already ordered include:

Garritan Orchestral Strings
    Ultimate Orchestral Percussion
    Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds

Looking for brass samples that will blend well with the above.

(side note) link to a good site to buy malmsJo Acoustic Piano?

Thanks for any tips!

Re: Need Brass advice

Oliver,

You can find Malmsjö Aucoustic Grand at the Art Vista Website:
    http://www.artvista.net/

Hans

are you kidding me?

with all the Brass commentary going on here?

Seriously tho

I\'m using QL Brass and Advnced Orch right now. As well as my Roland XP With the Orch expantion. One can get relly big sounds with this mix. I\'m curious about DD solo brass.

one of the above are \"out of the box\" fixes for a big brass sound. The stacatto sounds seem to be the easiest to get to sound good on any of the libraries. Its the \"melodic phrasing\" that seems to be more difficult because of the way the sample libraries are built so far. I\'ve really hear Miroslav and liek the timbre changing but find that limiting in that the prhasing only happens at the same place ALL the time.

I\'ve also foudn that with some editing of the QLB samples and some layering with AO you can get a great sound...but it takes ALOT of actual sample editing.

I think DD Solo Brass might have the Bite that I\'m looking for, and with some EQing I can layer them with QLB and get the sound I\'m lookig for.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>I\'m using QL Brass and Advnced Orch right now. As well as my Roland XP With the Orch expantion. One can get relly big sounds with this mix. I\'m curious about DD solo brass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m currently doing the same. I just ordered the Dan Dean solo brass, so I\'ll report back once I get to play with it.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 08-30-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oliver:
    mix and match
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Until the \'best\' libraries come out. I would go for Quantum Leap Brass and Dan Dean Solo Brass. I just received the french horn and tronbone samples and they work well with QLB for that bite that King was talking about.

[This message has been edited by jubal (edited 08-30-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hans Adamson:
    Oliver,

You can find Malmsjö Aucoustic Grand at the
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got the Malmsjo Acoustic piano today and it is beautiful sounding! Great for soft jazz and underscore piano stuff!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:

I just got the Malmsjo Acoustic piano today and it is beautiful sounding! Great for soft jazz and underscore piano stuff!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Malmsjo is definitely the king of piano tone right now, despite the fact that it\'s a historic instrument that doesn\'t have the edge or bite that some people would like.

For expressive, mellow playing, it has no peer. It is the only library I\'ve heard that I would describe as \"warm.\"

I have been scoring a new play for about a month, which opened last night, and several people commented on the beautiful piano sound--that was the Malmsjo. In the upper registers, pedal down, the sound is pure ear-candy.

And unlike the overwhelming majority of sampled pianos, it\'s not mic\'ed like a live PA setting with microphones right over the strings. Why people would do this is beyond me...people do not listen to pianos with their heads inside the lid. It destroys the imaging of the piano as a \"thing\" and instead makes images of each individual string\'s tone. This is SO wrong.

I think a lot of people really fail to understand how mic\'ing effects a mix...balance is a lot more than adjusting relative volume. It is also a matter of presence and size. You cannot mic things too closely, because you force the hand of the person doing the final mix. If a piano is mic\'ed \"inside the lid,\" then you have no alternative except mixing EVERYTHING to be right \"in your face\" and \"large.\"

Otherwise, you artificially reduce the piano\'s presence to the point it thins out and completely disappears...a piano mic\'ed one foot from the strings can never sound like a piano from four feet away, because altering volume, or even EQ can\'t change the fact that you are not hearing an \"instrument\" but an aural \"zoom-in\" focused upon its component parts.

Certainly this subject has been covered well with regards to brass recording...it\'s no different with anything else. While you DON\'T have to mic something from a great distance to get better results, you cannot place microphones \"point blank\" or you\'ll have problems. As in all things, moderation is the key.

I don\'t know how Hans mic\'ed that Malmsjo, but whatever he did, he deserves a medal for it.

Also, two musicians I know approached me last night after the show and asked \"Who did the guitar stuff?\" They knew it wasn\'t me--I can\'t play guitar to save my life.

Bardstown Archtop!! Totally fooled two musicians, although I did add a couple of string squeaks from Danny Lux\'s Acoustic Essentials to help that along a bit. What else can you say about that? We\'ve come a long way when you can play a realistic guitar line on a computer, that\'s for sure.

Bruce

Originally posted by Damon:

I just got the Malmsjo Acoustic piano today and it is beautiful sounding! Great for soft jazz and underscore piano stuff!\"

I totally agree with Damon and Bruce...

This is a great piano - so full of atmosphere. I use it a lot.

Please make some more stuff Hans!

Scarbee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

Also, two musicians I know approached me last night after the show and asked \"Who did the guitar stuff?\" They knew it wasn\'t me--I can\'t play guitar to save my life.

Bardstown Archtop!! Totally fooled two musicians, although I did add a couple of string squeaks from Danny Lux\'s Acoustic Essentials to help that along a bit. What else can you say about that? We\'ve come a long way when you can play a realistic guitar line on a computer, that\'s for sure.

Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the compliments!

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

Thanks for the replies. This is a great bunch of guys on this forum.

Bruce is right. I have a 1970 Yahama baby grand, and never have I put microphones in it unless to record prepared piano stuff. I put my head in it alot though, just for fun.

Go Back to forum