• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is anyone using DELL Vostro 13,15 or 1720 with success and 7200rpm HDD question.

Share/Bookmark

Is anyone using DELL Vostro 13,15 or 1720 with success and 7200rpm HDD question.

Hi,

Is anyone using the Dell Vostro 1320, 1520 or 1720 with Core2Duo, 7200rpm internal HDD and NVidia Graphics card with success for simultaneous multitrack audio recording and VST instrument playback? (looking at Win7 setup).

Also is it critical to have a 7200rpm internal HD or can I get away with 5400rpm HDD internal and 7200rpm external HDD (planning on using Cakewalk with GPO4, GPO4 specs suggest 7200rpm HDD). Would I need 2 external 7200rpm drives for success - one for VST's and one for Audio?

Thanks in advance (I asked a similar question in Piano Forum with no replies).

Re: Is anyone using DELL Vostro 13,15 or 1720 with success and 7200rpm HDD question.

Update:

I bought the DELL Vostro 1520 with 7200rpm drive, 2.2Ghz P7570 CPU, 4G RAM, NVidia 9300M GS 256M graphics and have had to return it within their 15 day return policy.

Tried running different VSTi's within Cubase LE4 and Cakewalk Music Creator 5 and had an issue with clicks/pops in the playback (didn't end up in recordings). Tried it with ASIO4ALL, onboard sound, Presonus Audiobox USB with it's own ASIO driver, tried all settings/samples within ASIO control panel.

I spent about 30+ hours disabling, re-enabling different drivers/devices/processes etc etc and still no luck. Tried all the obvious ones like battery indicator, LAN, WLAN, onboard sound etc. Put a job into help desk also.

I've swapped it for a HP Probook 4510s with much better results but only with external USB soundcard.

Only problem I'm having is with the occasional loud click in playback only with some of Yellow Tools Independence Free VSTi Guitars, no other VSTi's from other companies seem to do it. Is there such thing as a badly written VSTi? I'm hoping to run GPO4 on it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Go Back to forum