• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is swapping out sample drives difficult?

Share/Bookmark

Is swapping out sample drives difficult?

I've got a 100 gig Raptor for samples. Not enough room for Trillian. Can I run an additional external Sata drive for Trillian or should I swap out the 100 gig for a 300 gig Raptor and put all the samples I have on one drive?

Re: Is swapping out sample drives difficult?

If you have the connectivity then adding another drive won't be an issue at all. Neither will upgrading the size of your current drive as long as you map it to the same drive letter (Windows) or volume name (Mac) as the original.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

hi Commalot,

I suggest you keep the 100G and add a 500G internal Sata drive. Not all Sata drives are equal. Be sure the spindle speed is 7200 and the buffer memory is at least 16 MB.

For quicker retrieval times only use 60% to 70 % of the disk space.

Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by halftone View Post
    hi Commalot,

Be sure the spindle speed is 7200 and the buffer memory is at least 16 MB.

Regards John
    I've been using the 10,000 RPM Raptor. 7,200 is OK for samples? I recently added a PCI card for E-Sata external drives. It sure would be easier to just add a drive for Trillian.

Hi Commalot,

Yes 7200 works fine. I have 4 500G 7200 Sata drives. My system is 64 bit vista with 8G ram. I run some dense sample sets such as East West's Silk and Platinum Orchestra and they work very well.

By all means the e-sata should work very well. But if your buying a drive anyway why not a larger one to accomodate future sample sets?

Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by halftone View Post
    hi Commalot,
    For quicker retrieval times only use 60% to 70 % of the disk space.

Regards John
    I've heard that before. My 100 gig is currently running at 86% full. I'm going to add a 500 gig external drive for Trilian and move KH Emerald to the new one and leave the rest alone.

Hi Commalot,

That sounds like a good plan. Have fun.

regards John

Thanks for the help John and Kevin. Is this a great forum or what!!

Don't forget that Trilian and Omnisphere use the same directory path so if you have Omnisphere too you'll need to put that on the same drive.

As an aside I suspect on OSX you could actually create an alias to Trilian inside the STEAM folder which points to the actual path of Trilian samples. I've not tried this myself but would be interested if anyone else has used this approach with success? Not sure if it would work in XP/Vista/Win7 though?

Go Back to forum