• Register
  • Help

Topic: Download problem and other questions

Share/Bookmark

Download problem and other questions

Hi guys... due to a brutal last couple seasons on the TV show I work on, I have been away from my studio and truth be told not used GPO since I upgraded to the KP2 player many moons ago.

So yesterday I decided to purchase the upgrade to the new GPO4. I paid the $49 and all seemed well until I tried to download it.

It would always hang up.... mostly it hangs up after a couple MB. I got it to about 30 MB one time but no go. I have tried multiple times and at all hours. Nada.

1.Does anyone have any ideas why it will not download past a few MB?

2. Will I be getting an actual disc containing the new version 4 in the mail or is it a download only?

3. I had the old Kontakt Player 2 GPO. When I eventually get the new GPO 4 upgrade file, will it use the older GPO sounds? Does the ARIA player replace the KP2?

I am a bit confused how this is supposed to work and for some reason I am not finding the info I need in the Answerbase etc.

Some help will be appreciated and/or if someone can point me to the info I need at the Garritan main pages.

Thank you.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Download problem and other questions

Hello Lister,

Really sorry to hear of the problems you're having here. I'll try and answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    Hi guys... due to a brutal last couple seasons on the TV show I work on, I have been away from my studio and truth be told not used GPO since I upgraded to the KP2 player many moons ago.

So yesterday I decided to purchase the upgrade to the new GPO4. I paid the $49 and all seemed well until I tried to download it.

It would always hang up.... mostly it hangs up after a couple MB. I got it to about 30 MB one time but no go. I have tried multiple times and at all hours. Nada.

1.Does anyone have any ideas why it will not download past a few MB?
    (1) I don't have any specific answer to this other than to suggest trying a download manager.

I upgraded to GPO4 and the download went perfectly for me. Downloading problems could be traced to your firewall, your ISP, your modem/router, the Garritan server and so on. Although, personally, I'm not too keen on download managers, a good manager should get you your download even if you have to reconnect multiple times.

2. Will I be getting an actual disc containing the new version 4 in the mail or is it a download only?
    At present this is a download only. I believe there are plans to offer a disc option but I don't know when this will be available.

3. I had the old Kontakt Player 2 GPO. When I eventually get the new GPO 4 upgrade file, will it use the older GPO sounds? Does the ARIA player replace the KP2?

I am a bit confused how this is supposed to work and for some reason I am not finding the info I need in the Answerbase etc.
    The new GPO4 Aria comes complete with its own library as the older KP2 library will not work with Aria. In fact the new GPO4 library has additional instruments not found in the KP2 version.

When installing GPO4 Aria, this does not replace the KP2 which remains intact on your system so you will have both GPO4 and KP2 available. This is needed if you have existing files created with KP2 that you want to keep as these files are not compatible with Aria without reassigning all the instruments.

I hope this has helped. Please post back if you have any more questions and we'll try to answer them for you.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new GPO4 and Aria and I hope you manage your download.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Download issues are usually caused by contention rates or the provider throttling bandwidth. The dedicated server can handle many times the traffic that it's currently getting, something I monitor constantly. I can only suggest trying the download at different times of the day and sometimes using a different browser can make a difference. Make sure you aren't using any kind of download accelerator.

There's no limit on the number of downloads or download attempts, even if it looks stalled let it run. Depending on your location most customers complete the download in anything from 15 mins to an hour. For me in the UK it usually takes about three hours.

If your provider is Comcast you will almost certainly experience download problems.

Thank you very much Tony. I have been using Safari each time. When I get home tonight I will try Firefox. I am on a Mac so no IE.

Actually.....I am at work and while I was typing this I started trying to download it using their internet....so far it seems like it is moving along....I''m up to 40MB and no sign of getting bogged down.

That is great info about the two libraries being their own deal. I am excited about this because I really never enjoyed the process before with KP. On the Mac and with Pro Tools and Sibelius 4 and then 5 it was always quite clunky for me.

I am expecting Sibelius 6 in the mail any day and I have been on Pro Tools 8 for a few months..... hopefully with the new GPO4, everything will be a simpler process.

102MB........moving right along.

Thanks Tony and have a very Merry Christmas.....a very Happy Holiday's in case I do not talk with you again sooner.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Go Back to forum