• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: To Victory! (Medieval-themed, Epic Piece) - Dedicated to Ken Weissman

Share/Bookmark

Talking To Victory! (Medieval-themed, Epic Piece) - Dedicated to Ken Weissman

Hello everyone!

It's been a while. I've been extremely busy with school, so I haven't had much of a chance to write music. But I've found some time and completed this! It was a lot of fun to make. This will be the first movement of a Medieval-themed suite I'm plan to release on CD, CDBaby, and iTunes.

This was created with my ULTRA-NEW GPO4 AND SIBELIUS 6! My father bought me Sibelius 6 very recently, it's awesome. I made use of the VDL sounds that came with it. And as this is the first piece I've completed with GPO4, I HAVE to dedicate this piece to Mr. Ken Weissman!! This amazing fellow actually BOUGHT me GPO4, which is AMAZING, by the way. I'd like to make special mention of him and his incredible generosity. This is complete proof how awesome this forum is. So this piece and the rest coming will be dedicated to him, and I plan for his name and a dedication to be on the cover below the cover art when I release the suite. Thank you SO MUCH, Ken.

And here's the file!

http://soundcloud.com/user1554589/to-victory

I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to your comments and constructive criticism. The second half is still pretty rough, you can hear, but that will be fixed.

Cheers,
    Daniel
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: To Victory! (Medieval-themed, Epic Piece) - Dedicated to Ken Weissman

Awesome piece!! Very exciting, the orchestration stays fresh and interesting throughout. I love the use of harpsichord... and the choir... and, of course, the harp! Can't wait for more!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Good piece. The use of the medieval-ish scale (do you know which one it is?) gives it a different flavour, and the tempo makes it quite entertaining. Lovely rendering too. I cannot quite match the title with the music, but I can imagine it representing some kind of burlesque fight with a sort of anti-climax. Very cinematic. Great work!

If you want it to end more victoriously, you could consider building up one of the themes again after the (current) end, but in a different scale, one that has more in common with the major scale, and then just pump up the volume. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current ending!
    Theo

Excellent work, Mister Daniel! I am thoroughly impressed with your talents, young man. Your music is much more mature than your actual age and I certainly mean that as a compliment. What a great musical future you have before you!

Thank you for posting. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This piece is amazing - please repost when you have edited the final half as it's sounding perfect. I've started following you on Soundcloud - hope you don't mind a fan )

Hey Daniel!
    Good thing Ken Weissman is such a generous and considerate fellow, you have proven it was money well spent!!
    Liked all kinds of things about it and it certainly goes beyond Early Music in many ways, but I hear the reference.
    Great stuff - please continue!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    Awesome piece!! Very exciting, the orchestration stays fresh and interesting throughout. I love the use of harpsichord... and the choir... and, of course, the harp! Can't wait for more!
    Thanks! I had a lot of fun with the harpsichord sequence. A sort of tumbling, whimsical, sword fight scene is what I had in mind. Thanks for commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Good piece. The use of the medieval-ish scale (do you know which one it is?) gives it a different flavour, and the tempo makes it quite entertaining. Lovely rendering too. I cannot quite match the title with the music, but I can imagine it representing some kind of burlesque fight with a sort of anti-climax. Very cinematic. Great work!

If you want it to end more victoriously, you could consider building up one of the themes again after the (current) end, but in a different scale, one that has more in common with the major scale, and then just pump up the volume. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current ending!
    Thanks! I think it's D Dorian that I use for the most of the piece. The title is subject to change, so if you have any better suggestions, tell me!! To Victory is the first thing that popped into my head, since it's sort of a battle, or maybe a sword fight scene.

I considered a more "victorious" ending, but I like the way it ends now, because once you hear it it's like... Next section! The next movement will probably depict some sort of medieval bar or tavern or pub, something upbeat and Celtic, and a bit more minimalistic. But the ending doesn't coincide much with the title, so I see where you're coming from. I'll probably change the title. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Excellent work, Mister Daniel! I am thoroughly impressed with your talents, young man. Your music is much more mature than your actual age and I certainly mean that as a compliment. What a great musical future you have before you!
    Thank you! I think my music has matured and developed a lot the past couple of years, and I'm glad you can hear this! Thank you for you encouragement!!

Quote Originally Posted by reubencornell View Post
    This piece is amazing - please repost when you have edited the final half as it's sounding perfect. I've started following you on Soundcloud - hope you don't mind a fan )
    I definitely will repost once I touch it up. Probably this weekend. And I just signed up for Soundcloud since Box.net wasn't working. xD But yes, I don't mind, I'm flattered. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hey Daniel!
    Good thing Ken Weissman is such a generous and considerate fellow, you have proven it was money well spent!!
    Liked all kinds of things about it and it certainly goes beyond Early Music in many ways, but I hear the reference.
    Great stuff - please continue!]
    Yes, Ken is amazing. Thanks for your comment!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

It was definitely "fresh" sounding.
    It has a swashbuckling quality to it, would probably make great music for a pirate-based game or film.

Very good and I congratulate Ken to his investment
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Wow, Daniel, I'm extremely impressed with your latest work!
    I love your horn solos and the clean lines you create with the strings and keyboards. Your composition/performance would surely rouse any knight to victory.

It's a tremendous honor for me to have To Victory! dedicated to me by such a talented young composer, so I thank you for that! Having the right tools are so important for leveraging one's talent, so I'm delighted to hear that your studio is well equipped.

Keep up the good work Daniel!

Best regards,

Ken Weissman
    (Rusty Crook)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast