Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cubase 5 and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Cubase 5 and GPO

I am trying to use GPO with Cubase 5.

I understand from a tutorial on Cubase SX that the process is to -

1. Open New Project.
    2. Devices > VST Instruments

From the VST Instruments dialogue box, click on the first VSTi slot and choose PersonalOrchestra from the list.

Unfortunately, I do not see GPO in the list, just the Cubase 5 preset VSTs.

How can I get Cubase 5 to recognise GPO?

I am obviously doing something fundamentally wrong here and need help.

PS : this is my first post on the forum!

Re: Cubase 5 and GPO

I guess you need to tell Cubase where to look
    for the referring dll. You usually do that somewhere
    in the same pulldown where you configure all devices.

Another possibility ...
    copy the aria player dll into one of the vst folders
    your cubase knows already.

good luck
    Robert

You haven't said which version of GPO you are using.

If the latest with ARIA it should appear in the VST instruments window under "GARRITAN". Check that there is the GARRITAN folder in the VST instrument folder

If the earlier version then it runs under KONTAKT PLAYER which you load first and open GPO from within this
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi Riberto 123 and Buckshead,

Thanks for your advice and support - I need as much as I can get right now!

I am still at a loss how to get Cubase 5 to recognise the GPO instrument or multis libraries.

I think that the Tutorial in the Knowledge Base - http://www.garritan.com/faq/index.ph...ghlight=cubase is missing a few steps at the beginning. It assumes that the GPO files are already accessed by Cubase. How is this done?

There must be a clearly defined way to do this without having to hack a solution.

I am using GPO with Kontakt Player 2.

I see that the Cubase Tutorial was written by Tony on 21-Aug-09. Do either of you know Tony, or know how I could contact him? Perhaps Tony has firsthand experience of how this is done?

When you installed GPO did you install it as VST. The Kontakt player should be in "C:/Program files/Steinberg/VSTplugins" as a .dll file and the library in a folder marked "Garritan " or similar in the C drive.

When you start Kontakt player the GPO should appear in the browser section of the GUI

You open the library from this

Looking at the tutorial I think the screen shots are KP1 not KP2, in KP2 GPO appears on the left and you get a drop down to choose instruments which show one above the other on the right
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

why do you use Kontakt player and not Aria?
    I have Aria running and to me it's much more comfortable
    than Kontakt.
    I tried a demo version of kontakt 4 and immediately
    bought Halion because I didn't like the Kontakt GUI
    at all.
    If you would work with Aria the whole thing becomes
    a lot easier ...
    You load Aria as a VSTi and from that you can load
    the instruments you need.
    It works really fine

Robert

Hi,
    just to be clear...
    I am using GPO with Kontakt Player 2....
    Unfortunately, I do not see GPO in the list, just the Cubase 5 preset VSTs
    The VST Instrument that you should be loading is "KontaktPlayer2". You should then see "Personal Orchestra" inside that.

Also, for comfortable use of GPO, it will be better to open an instance of Kontakt Player 2 in the VST Instruments rack (F11), and play it from regular MIDI tracks, than to use the newer-but-simpler Instrument Tracks (which only allow one MIDI channel/stereo audio output per instance).
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Hi Robert, Derek, and Vic

Thank you for your continued interest, advice and support - all of which I do appreciate.

So here is where we are ....

My GPO files are currently sitting in the following folder on my hard drive C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Garritan \ GPO KP2 Library \ Instruments & Multis.

They are NOT in the folder C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VST Plugins - so is this problem that needs to be corrected?

If so, should I now uninstall the GPO application and re-install it such that it is installed within the Cubase VST Plugins folder? That probably makes sense based on what has been said so far.

Robert - regarding my use of KP2 v Aria, I am using KP2 because that is with what GPO3 was shipped. How would I get hold of Aria - would I have to upgrade to GPO4?

Vic - thanks for your advice regarding Midi v Instrument tracks - I look forward to exploring that once I get GPO accessible within Cubase 5.

In my GPO3 Manual it says on page 16 : 'There are many resources and tutorials on how to use the Garritan Libraries with the various popular sequencers and are available on the Garritan website at www. Garritan.com' - well the only tutorial which I found via a search related to Cubase SX and KP1 - perhaps a new tutorial is required here to keep up with current versions.

So guys what are my next steps : do I need to uninstall GPO and re-install the files in the Cubase VST Plugins Folder? Or is there anything that I can do within Cubase to recognise the GPO Libraries? I played about with Devices > Pugin Information dialogue box without any success.

Thank you for your continued support on this.

so may be if you have bought your GPO version not
    a long time ago Garritan might let you upgrade/update to Aria ...
    but I don't know if this is possible

in case that this is not available.
    two options:

1) to run Kontaktplayer as a VSTi there must be a dll file
    (I don't know the exact name)
    Copy this dll-file into your VST directory where the other
    Cubase VSTis are located.
    go ointo Cubase->devices->plugin info-refresh
    ready

2) In Cubase 5 go into the devices pulldown
    then plugin info
    There you can tell cubase to look for VSTis, Plugins etc.
    in other than the standard directories.
    Install the Kontakt player path there - refresh
    and voilà - cubase should find Kontakt (hopefully)

(with Aria you would have to do more or less the same)

greetz
    Robert

Before uninstalling anything, try launching Kontakt Player as standalone, and see if if Personal Orchestra is visible in it (make sure that the Kontakt Player Browser pane is open, with the "Libraries" widget selected).
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Go Back to forum