• Register
  • Help

Topic: Advice for a Giga user who's been out of it for a while...

Share/Bookmark

Advice for a Giga user who's been out of it for a while...

I'd appreciate some advice ... it may be that many of my questions have been covered before, but I've been out of it for a while and have missed a lot.

I'm a former Giga3 user who hasn't been doing much music for several years (raising a kid and other distractions). During recent months I've started thinking about getting back to it, so it was with some dismay that I learned of the death of GigaStudio. To make matters worse, I had to rebuild my XP system, and now GS3 won't even run (I get a Blue Screen of Death when I try it). Rather than waste any more time trying to get an obsolete product working, I'm trying to figure out my options.

I'm intrigued by Garritan's plans for Giga, but I'm afraid that's going to be too far out in the future for me. So I'm thinking that my best option now is to abandon Giga and move to Kontakt, about which I know nothing.

As for libraries, I'm mainly dependent on SampleTekk's White Grand and Black Grand Close. I also have an old version of the Kirk Hunter Symphony Orchestra. What I'm wondering is how difficult (or possible) it is to use these libraries in Kontakt, or convert them to Kontakt format. Failing that, does anybody know whether SampleTekk and/or Kirk Hunter offer any special deals for former Giga users looking to switch?

Any other advice? I know that many have been in this situation before me, so please feel free to point me to existing discussions I've missed if this ground has been well covered. Thanks!
    Robert

Re: Advice for a Giga user who's been out of it for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
    I'm intrigued by Garritan's plans for Giga
    They have revealed no plans and discouraged speculation. There's no scope for intrigue.

...SampleTekk and/or Kirk Hunter offer any special deals for former Giga users looking to switch?
    Sampletekk do, decidedly. Get onto the website and nab the free program files Worra provides for Gigavictims.

Quote Originally Posted by lallis View Post
    They have revealed no plans and discouraged speculation. There's no scope for intrigue.
    Poor choice of words, I guess. All I meant was that I am interested in knowing more about their plans, when they have some, and when it becomes permissible to express interest. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lallis View Post
    Sampletekk do, decidedly. Get onto the website and nab the free program files Worra provides for Gigavictims.
    Thanks. I'd poked around a bit but had missed the "Crossgrades" link on the main page; I've found it now.

One problem, though: the procedure Worra describes seems to require using the GigaStudio Instrument Editor. As I mentioned, I do not have a working installation of GigaStudio. Any suggestions?
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
    ..more about their plans, when they have some, and when it becomes permissible to express interest. Sorry.
    Not My rules. I was trying to save you some heartbreak.

A reasonable guess is that there will never be any plans. Giga is a very rapidly dying platform, reduced to fewer users every day. Many users are professionals HEAVILY invested in Giga, so they will stick a while yet. But it's hard to imagine new customers coveting it now, isn't it? The good libraries are old stuff, heard many times by all..

You yourself are bailing out. Forums run that same story over and over -- one ex Giga user after another. That's why I speculate Giga is deader than a hammer.

Email Worra at Sampletekk about prying your Giga samples loose to use with Kontakt -- or whatever you have. He's a good cat.

Fair enough. And yeah, it's pretty easy to see the handwriting on the wall for Giga. Nor am I going to wait around for vaporware.

I will definitely contact Worra -- I've definitely had good experiences with him before. I just thought I'd start here to see if there was any procedure already documented for the migration I need to make.

A bigger problem, frankly, will be explaining to my wife why I need to spend the money on Kontakt. Well, one problem at a time.
    Robert

Go Back to forum