• Register
  • Help

Topic: For the holiday - There and Bach again :)

Share/Bookmark

Arrow For the holiday - There and Bach again :)

Hi y'all!

This past holiday weekend has felt much the epiphany for discovery of past composers and their continued value today. With a bit of free time at last, and filled to overflowing with Bach and Rachmaninoff over the Web these last few nights, it just seemed so very natural to spend a little while infusing some humble contemporary music with the brilliance that was Bach from our past. His lovely Prelude for Cello Suite No. 1 was the inspiration for the following piece. It's a mixture of instruments from all over -- of course flavored generously with Garritan!

So I humbly submit the following holiday-ish (well, reverent at least!) tune for your contemplation. With a nice synchronized lyrics player since no one in possession of their senses would wish to hear me sing, lol.

http://www.muffitland.com/music/galilee.html

This page tested on IE8 and IE7, I think it will work on IE6 too. It will work in Firefox, Netscape and Opera also, with the appropriate Windows Media Player extension installed. Firefox requires the full unauthorized extension by the way (my player uses Windows Media script commands, what the heck Beanie ).

Thanks for listening!!
    narrow/Muffit/Lonny
    (I really gotta pick one of these names someday and stick with it! ROTFL)

P.S. Site root has holiday chipmunks, really old cassette ports, but still funny I hope!

===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

http://www.muffitland.com

"So long as we employ our hearts, the value of all we touch remains secure" - Muffit

Re: For the holiday - There and Bach again :)

I'm on a mac, but I can't get it to play in any of my browsers. Sorry, many-named one.
    Theo

Can you hear that most of your notes are "smearing", one into another as though you are holding down a sustain pedal. Put a little space between the notes.

This could probably be a nice piece except for the above.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Arrow Re: For the holiday - There and Bach again :)

Hi FLWrd!! Thank you for your reply and letting me know. Hmm, hmm, HMM! What to do? I was afeared o' that, as we say (err... said) in Tennessee. I have no Mac to test with at present (I do know how to develop on a Mac though, so could fix it I think).

It is just a Windows Media Player, with script cmds embedded in the audio stream as in the MS docs, but those are often not supported by non IE browsers. Hmm!!

Guess I should make a Flash version instead and punt!! I will download Safari for Vista and see how that goes, perhaps all it needs is an add-on for the Mac...?

Thank you, in any event!!! (e.g. controller event, volume curve event, yadda... )

- narrow / Muffit the Sisyphus of Scripting

"Dying is easy; Windows is hard" - Anonymous end user (why he would be using his end in the first place I have no idea)
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

"So long as we employ our hearts, the value of all we touch remains secure" - Muffit

Hi Larry! Wow, I didn't realize... will do! Must be something in the notation I have set wrong. Thank you for the advice!!

- Muffit
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I'm on a mac, but I can't get it to play in any of my browsers. Sorry, many-named one.

Hi again! Okey-doke, I installed the latest Safari for PC, and to my (utter amazement) the player worked great. Hmm! (errata - I think I am going to add "HMM" as a new vowel in my vocabulary, as I appear to use it more than "a" or "I", lol).

Okay, must be a Mac thing! I will begin looking for a (sorta current) Mac to test with. Any idea where hard luck cases can begin? Fire sale perhaps? G5's with a Commodore self-destruct button? Keyboards with 101 capslock keys? LOL. Any guidance much appreciated!
    ===========
    Affectionately,
    Muffit (narrow)

I've got a Windows Media player plugin, but it doesn't seem to work with your script. If it works with Safari on Vista, it's probably a Windows specific script. I do see a (longish) text appearing on the right, and text moving above the play button, but that just shows HTML tags (like "<BODY>"), and there is no sound.

Don't take to much trouble for this single user, though.
    Theo

Go Back to forum