• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Finale

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Finale

I use GPO sounds with Finale. Is there a difference in quality between the sounds that were included with Finale and the full version of GPO?
    Thanks for any help.

Re: GPO and Finale

not a difference in "quality".
    the "full" version of GPO has more of each sound.

for example, the Garritan sounds that comes with Finale has only first violins, while the full version of GPO has completely separate 1st and 2nd violins.

you get considerably more choices of each instrument with the full version, which ends up making a difference in sound.

Quote Originally Posted by lhenry View Post
    I use GPO sounds with Finale. Is there a difference in quality between the sounds that were included with Finale and the full version of GPO?
    Thanks for any help.
    Hello lhenry and a warm welcome to our forums.

Not much more to add to Michel's reply other than to say that I can thoroughly recommend getting the full GPO.

You don't mention which version of Finale you are using. If you are considering going for the full GPO4 then you will need a later version that will support VST and the Aria Player. I have Finale 2010 with GPO4 Aria which is excellent.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks for the info.
    I am using Finale 2009 right now. The company I work for switches to 2010 the first of the year. I have installed 2010, but haven't used it yet.
    I have the original GPO that I haven't used for several years, and I don't even have it loaded on my current computer because the Finale GPO sounds were adequate and very easy to use. Now the company is wanting better demos. They mostly have problems with GPO Trumpet and Saxophone sounds. I have JABB I use for the sax sounds, but the sound is not as good as say the strings or keyboard sounds. I am also contimplating using something like pro tools to give me more control over each instrument. Any help and information you can pass along to me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Thanks for any help.
    The combination of Finale 2010, Aria and GPO4 is unbeatable.

Does anyone have a "secret" or tricks to make trumpet and saxophone a little more lifelike? I know I can spend $1,000 for some different sounds, but I'm not sure if they would be better in Finale playback.
    Thanks

I don't know if this counts as a trick, but I tend to play in the parts after I have written them out. I also make a distinction between scoring and sequencing. I use Finale to create a human-readable score and parts, and I use Sonar to create the mock-up, if I need it.

In theory, Finale, using Human Playback, ought to be enough, but in practice I've found that I can usually create a more realistic part by playing the part in. And since I've been using Sonar as my sequencer for a very long time I continue to use it.

In practice, if I'm not after "radio ready" I have found that Human Playback in Finale 2009 and not Finale 2010 does a frighteningly good job. So you might want to try playing around with the HP settings. It probably still won't sound better than playing it in, but you may be surprised at how close it gets.

Oh, if you have access to a non-keyboard MIDI instrument you might try using that - I used to use a Guitar-to-MIDI converter and get really good results. I need to get all that gear working again!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Bill,
    Thanks so much for your relpy. I will try as you say. I do have a midi keyboard hooked up. I'm not crazy about having to play an entire syphonic band score into sonar, but that sounds like a good solution.
    Thanks

I'm not crazy about having to play an entire symphonic band score
    But it makes you feel a sense of omnipotence!

Greetings.

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    I have found that Human Playback in Finale 2009 and not Finale 2010 does a frighteningly good job.
    Funny you mention that. I was just thinking today that I liked the human playback better with 08 and 09 than I did with 2010 and wasn't sure if it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

Go Back to forum