• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wind Band Saxomaphone Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Wind Band Saxomaphone Samples?

What would you all recommend for the best sounding saxophones for legit music, not jazz. There\'s a major difference in tone and I don\'t want to end up with something that won\'t work.

I have been toying with teaming up with some recording engineer from my university to record my own, but I\'m not sure if it\'ll ever happen. Either way, it would be nice to know if there is such a library, or i there is one in the works already.

Thanks for any info you can share with me.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Wind Band Saxomaphone Samples?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aenigma:
    What would you all recommend for the best sounding saxophones for legit music, not jazz. There\'s a major difference in tone and I don\'t want to end up with something that won\'t work.

I have been toying with teaming up with some recording engineer from my university to record my own, but I\'m not sure if it\'ll ever happen. Either way, it would be nice to know if there is such a library, or i there is one in the works already.

Thanks for any info you can share with me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At present I know of no libraries which feature strictly \"legit\" sax tone...the market is not exactly busting loose for Donald Sinta in a box. :P

I have used the sax sounds with Quantum Leap Brass to good effect in wind ensemble emulations. They\'re a little buzzy for the task, but then again, people tend to use saxophones for \"buzzy\" parts in wind literature, so it works out about as well as can be expected.

You can hear a demo at Dan Dean\'s website of the 2nd movement of the Holst First Suite. Listen to the one under the Brass, not woodwind, category...the brass parts in it are a little more transparent, and you can hear the saxophones coming through better. They\'re panned to the right hand side of the ensemble. You can hear them particularly at the start of the sixteenth note tutti sweep about 1/4 of the way into the piece, and also towards the end doubling with various voices.

Sorry, please expand on \"legit music\" and why Jazz isn\'t?
    I am not sure I understand what you need.

I have just finished Bariton, Tenor and Soprano sax and I am working on Alto. Tenor and Alto feature up to 4 velocity layers and lots of dimensions for legato up + down, natural fade out of the notes and various attacks (of course this varies with the instrument) Tenor, Soprano and Bari was performed by Ray Pizzi whos sound is old school bigband (legit?), Alto was performed by Farzin, more of a smooth Jazz kinda guy (legit?).

best,
    franZ

In my world, there are two kinds of sax tone.. jazz and legit. Has nothing to do with saying Jazz isn\'t legit, just a way to name the different sounds.

What I need are saxes with a much rounder tone, and less buzziness than what most would consider standard sax tone. Something that resembles the sound of a french horn. Not being a saxohpone player myself, I don\'t know what\'s involved in producing these different types of sound. However, a good friend of mine is a sax player in our University band. Every time we have a guest conductor she is lauded for her incredibly smooth, round tone. If I end up sampling my own saxes for my own use, I would use her. She has already agreed to do it, so this option is looking very good right now.

It\'s true that there is very little call for this type of sound, so unless there\'s some mention of an upcoming library featuring these, I\'ll try my hand at making my own. Certainly if this ends up being the case I\'ll be on here begging for tips.

Go Back to forum