• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help

Share/Bookmark

Please help

Okay I want to move the Steam folder from the default location in the Library/App Support/Spectrasonics to a new hard drive......a Lacie 500G connected by Firewire 800. Then I want to install the Trilian library there.

When I click on the Steam folder it only offers me "Copy Steam" up in the Edit section, so once done the original still resides in the default location. So now it is in two locations.

Do I delete the original default location one? Move it to the trash?

Also.......it says to make an alias and put it into /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics folder. Well there is already one there. It has been there since I installed Omnisphere.

Do I delete that and make a new alias of the one in the LaCie drive?

I am really desperate to get Trilian going. I have been screwed around by the guy getting my memory and hard drive, he sent me the wrong stuff. I have had my unopened box of Trilian for 2 weeks now.

Now I finally go to install it but the move of the STEAM folder is confusing.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Please help

Anyone?

It will not let me install. I imagine it is because there are multiple STEAM folders.

I have been all day in here installing OS10.5, upgrading from Tiger.....I found an install disk.

I upgraded to Pro Tools 8....... my head is spinning from all these installations and making sure I don't lose plug ins, upgrading plug ins etc etc etc......

I will really appreciate some help on the moving of the STEAM folder and if I have to delete all others.

I actually find it very confusing. I love these products but the installation is way more difficult than anything else I have. It says all 5 discs have to be on the same drive. Well what about Omnisphere? f I moved the Omnisphere STEAM folder to another drive, don't I have to move something else...the actual application? Is it like an app and a library?

I really don't want to wait until Monday, besides I am way too busy on 24 to be able to spend time on the phone with tech support. If I miss my chance to install tomorrow, I likely will have to go the whole week until next weekend.

Thanks
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

You may have multiple folders on your hard drive which happen to be named "STEAM", but only one is _the_ STEAM folder used by Omnisphere and Trilian. You simply need to install to that STEAM folder.

A reminder for everyone: your first action when encountering a problem with Spectrasonics products should be to visit support.spectrasonics.net. Two important FAQs you'll find there are "How do I find my STEAM folder and Omnisphere data files?" and "Moving the STEAM folder on a Mac". These are located in the Omnisphere Troubleshooting section.

- Glenn

Well yes I did read those extensively. In fact I read them days ago as well and a couple times in between as I waited to get the drive I wanted etc. In the Windows one it is clear that it says to delete the original default STEAM folder.

In the Mac instructions it says...." On the Mac, move the STEAM folder from the current location (the default is /Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics) to the desired location " To me that says ...MOVE FROM...meaning that it is a full move not a copy. You take it from one place to another. However, when I click on the STEAM folder and go to EDIT it only offers me to Copy....meaning the folder still resides in the default location.

It also says to make an alias....BUT there is already an alias STEAM folder there......in the location it says to go to. That alias appears to have been there since I installed Omnisphere a long time ago......the day it was released.

If I name it STEAM as it says in the instructions, then there will be two folders of the same name. The computer will ask me if I want to replace the original folder with the new folder.

Do I?

That is my point. The instructions are not clear....to me.

I appreciate your help GlennO but I think you guys at Spectrasonics and elsewhere, are so on top of this stuff that you don't realize perhaps how confusing it is to some. I am not afraid to admit I am not the most savvy guy when it comes to some of these hierarchy install paths and the like. I like software that does it all for you, you insert the discs-authorize and go......hey that's just me.

Update: So, I have figured it out. So yesterday I did exactly what it said in the instructions at the Answerbase. I made a folder called Spectrasonics on my external LaCie drive and I got the STEAM folder there. I had read about making sure the install went to the folder above the STEAM folder. Okay off I go....

When you insert the disc and you select the drive you want, it says....'You have chosen to install this software in the folder "Spectrasonics" on the volume "LIBRARY".'

Well okay, that's the folder I made and it is one folder above the STEAM folder......I'm good to go and I hit Conitinue....WRONG!! Error message.

I finally figured out, you have to hit "Choose Folder" and manually select that exact same Spectrasonics folder and then you are good to go. Even though it is the supposed exact same folder as the one it said you had selected???

To me this is a bit of a strange deal and should be made clear on the site somewhere.

Remember that after a long day buried in upgrades and all and wanting to do stuff to the letter......it is easy to get hung up on something like this.

Thanks.

Glad it worked out.

A reminder for anyone installing Trilian: be sure to watch the watchme movie on disc 1. It will guide you through the installation and describe what you need to do at each step in the process. We're working to simplify the installation process and I've added some notes to the FAQ to help anyone else who has the same question as Lister, but be sure to watch the movie when installing Trilan.

- Glenn

Okay....no sounds in it. Updated Omnisphere and re-authorized...updated everything else too..Trilian and RMX.

The only issue I had was where to update Omnisphere at because when I tried doing it into the new STEAM folder on my external I got error messages...... sO I did it at both STEAM locations.

Omni re-authed ok but still Trilian has no sounds and I get an error message....

Okay, I remember others had this it seems....I will poke around unless someone has an answer. Thanks.

Dang.....now all my Omnisphere sounds are gone.

I'm sorry but I am going to lose my shite soon......

What an absolutely frustrating experience this has been.I am hating life and am ready to throw in the towel with this install and now loss of my Omnisphere library. I have wasted the better part of two days on this...time I could have spent with my family who don't want to be around me because I am so pissed off.

Ii just cannot face a re-install of Omnisphere.

I hate to be negative and I apologize for being so angry....... but at $300 for software, it should just install. Especially since I have already spent the $500 on Omnisphere and another $300 or so on Stylus RMX. You'd think it would all just be seamless.

Again, sorry to be angry, but I am just beat down now...I really wanted to get this going and play around with it this weekend. I work my A-hole off on a TV show 60 plus hours a week and this was supposed to be a little battery recharge for me......

Go Back to forum