• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can't Find GOP in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Cool Can't Find GOP in Sonar

Help! I am a newbie to both Sonar and GOP. I have had a very trying day trying to set up Sonar and GOP. Finally got sound but now I am having difficulty finding GOP from within Sonar. I looked under Process/Midi fx/plug ins/manager - its hiding from me. I'd appreciate some help. Tx

Re: Can't Find GOP in Sonar

Hi, Maggie, let me be the first to welcome you to Northernsounds, one of the friendliest places on the Interwebs.

The easy answer to your question is that GPO will not show up directly in Sonar under the plugins. You have to load that sample player (either Kontakt Player 2 for GPO3 or Aria for GPO4) into your synth rack.

Then you can load the GPO instruments directly from there (how should be obvious, but ask if it's not).

Good luck, and please keep asking questions!

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Hi, Maggie, let me be the first to welcome you to Northernsounds, one of the friendliest places on the Interwebs.

The easy answer to your question is that GPO will not show up directly in Sonar under the plugins. You have to load that sample player (either Kontakt Player 2 for GPO3 or Aria for GPO4) into your synth rack.

Then you can load the GPO instruments directly from there (how should be obvious, but ask if it's not).

Good luck, and please keep asking questions!
    Thank you - very kind - but I do need further instructions

Hi, Maggiegirl

GPO is an example of a "soft synth VST." When you start a new Sonar project, one of the first things you'll want to do is insert the sounds you're going to use.

Go to "Insert" in the top menu. Choose "Soft Synths." As raweber indicated, you need to insert the engine which plays GPO. The previous versions of GPO were played inside the Kontakt Player, so if you have a version of GPO older than a few months, you'll find it under "Kontakt Player2." If you've only very recently bought GPO, you'll find it under Garritan>Aria Multi Player VST.

If you don't have either of those showing up, then you need to run the Cakewalk Plugin Manager, found under Tools. That's where all the VSTs which you've put in the Cakewalk VST folder will be found and connected to your Sonar program. Only after running that tool will the VSTs be available.

Choose the appropriate sample player, and then a dialogue pop-up will come up. Try choosing "All Synth Audio Outputs" so that audio tracks will be inserted for all 16 channels of this first instance of the sample player.

Then you start loading the GPO instruments you need for your project.

You'll be recording your MIDI data in MIDI tracks which are playing their output through the audio tracks inserted when you brought in the sample player.

If you're lost, then you need to slowly go through the Sonar tutorials for using soft synths. They have complete information included in the Help files of Sonar.

rbowser

Well said, Randy,

And Maggie, I second the recommendation of working through the tutorials provided for Sonar. They are invaluable for the beginner.

Can't wait for your first listening room post!

Quote Originally Posted by maggiegirl View Post
    Help! I am a newbie to both Sonar and GOP. I have had a very trying day trying to set up Sonar and GOP. Finally got sound but now I am having difficulty finding GOP from within Sonar. I looked under Process/Midi fx/plug ins/manager - its hiding from me. I'd appreciate some help. Tx
    The advice looks very good to me. It really is not so difficult, although at first it probably appears intimidating and frustrating After a little use, it becomes more friendly and useful. Just hang in until you get a feel for it, which ought not be very long. How well most of us will remember our first attempts at such things! I had much opportunity for cussing practice, even though I had been closely involved in digital audio since 1965 or thereabouts!

Richard

Go Back to forum