• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fauré Impromptu #2

Share/Bookmark

Fauré Impromptu #2

Hello again;
    Today, I am posting both the piano version and my orchestrated version, of Fauré's Impromptu #2 for piano.
    Gabriel Fauré (1845 - 1924), was the leading French musician of his day. With teachers like Saint-Saens and students like Ravel, how far wrong could he go??
    Of Fauré's life in the 1880's,Wikipedia says; "He earned almost no money from his compositions because his publisher bought them, copyright and all, for 50 francs each! During this period Fauré wrote several large scale works, in addition to many piano pieces and songs, but he destroyed many of them after a few performances, only retaining a few movements in order to re-use any motifs."
    Also, on his piano style; "Fauré's piano works often use arpeggiated figures with the melody interspersed between the two hands, and include finger substitutions natural for organists. These aspects make them daunting for some pianists, but they are nonetheless central works."
    Using my method of "deconstruction by layers, from top down" I found it was tricky to lift the leading parts out of the many notes present at any given moment.
    For my orchestra, I used GPO4 string sections, winds and a French Horn and of course the Steinway inside GPO4 for the piano version.

I am providing links to my orchestration, here: Faure Impromptu 2 - GPO4+sd cisco

and to the straight piano version, here: Faure Impromptu 2 - Piano

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Fauré Impromptu #2

Bravo! A challenge well met, SD.

The key to this, which you have apparently grasped,
    is that even when Fauré wrote for piano -- he wrote
    for organ
    ... which, to some degree, creates a clearer
    path to orchestration.

I likewise enjoyed the piano version. Well done; though
    I think I might have rather aggresively pedaled this.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David;
    Thank you again for listening and then posting your comments!! Fauré was clearly ahead of his time and has influenced music more than one might expect.

Best regards my friend!
    sd cisco

Nice job!

A good rendering. Some muddiness in the lower strings from time to time. Strings become quite 'skreechy' in the upper register in some places. (Fingernails on a chalkboard. ) Eh?

Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi -- am listening to the piano version just now. Wow, I have only heard (performed, actually) the Faure Requiem, and this is so different! I love the way he modulates so fluidly. The rendering sounds very realistic to me; nice job!

Karen

I'm listening to the orchestrated version now.

I agree with Larry, some of the high string passages sound a little -- I am not sure -- unreal? But take that with a grain of salt -- I have not plumbled the heights and depths of all instruments. I found myself wishing the lower string parts were a bit more pronounced, but that may possibly be due to the fact that I have more difficulty hearing parts in the low range.

But aside from that, I love it! An ambitious undertaking skillfully done.
    Bravo

Karen

Thanks Karen. I found a you tube video with someone playing it live, quite a demanding piece. I usual try to respect the original composition, not add or subtract any notes, or even transpose if it seems inappropriate. When I made the music for my Iranian Blog piece back in June, I used the strings (or abused, if your name is Larry), and had them zipping up and down too. Perhaps years of creating free form music with synths has broadened the range of what I feel is acceptable. What I liked most about this Impromptu is the little flute part that begins about a 1/4 of the way in, it is light and optimistic and seemed to provide some insight into Fauré's state of mind an emotional bearing.
    Thank you.
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum