• Register
  • Help

Topic: Toms

Share/Bookmark

Toms

I put together a small file of brushes on toms and made a small comparison mp3. Brushes, at least to me, seem to be the \"weakest link\" in all the samples that I have heard so I wanted to start with this one first. The file starts with the one I did then in the middle goes to a \"brush\" file from another well respected library then back to mine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Donnie

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/toms.mp3

Re: Toms

Donnie, I prefer the sound and dynamic range of the \'brush\' component of your brushed toms, but I have a feeling some (especially those used to a rock/pop sound) may be more attracted to the overall \'boom\' of the other library.

Any chance of having both?

If I was just looking for the sound of the brushes, there\'s no real comparison.

Yes D I like

Now I\'d like to hear/see what you guys do with Snares/ If you could make some sort of cexpressive \"swishing\" patch that is user controlled Id be in heaven

I\'ve been trying to come up with a way to make a \"playable\" swish for a while now

Only other option is different speed swipes

anyhow I like your brush samples, and believe with a bit of EQ/compression one could get more boom if they wanted it. I like it with less tho. Man This would go great with hans Jazz Bass he\'s mentioned

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

What if you split the swish sample in two and assigned the two samples to different keys? One for the first half direction and one for the second?

you wouldn\'t get control of the dynamics. If you built a 4 layer crossfade withthe mod wheel AND different keys (top, bottom,left and right) with attack variables you might be able to get all the control.....
    but then it might jsut be WAY too much control and be too confusing to use.

Basically it would only really be good for those long brush sweeps around the snare.

Different speed sweeps would probably be better and more useful...but it still would be neat to have something that would have alot of control

now taht I think about it, the 4 layer crossfade could be cool for regular beush sweeps too

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

The two things I like the most about the ones I did are the pure sound of the brush on the head which I think you don\'t get from any other samples and the dynamic range.

Donnie

The two things I like the most about the ones I did are the pure sound of the brush on the head which I think you don\'t get from any other samples and the dynamic range.

Donnie

deja vu...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum