• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setting volume for individual notes in a chord

Share/Bookmark

Setting volume for individual notes in a chord

I'm a little confused, or maybe I'm not and GPO simply lacks the type of control I want. I'd like to be able to set the volumes of individual notes on one track rather than all the notes at once. Like, if I'm playing a chord with a bass, I don't want to use the mod wheel to change the volume for all 3 notes - I want to be able to make the lowest note more quiet than the others. Is this possible?

Re: Setting volume for individual notes in a chord

One way to do it is assign the same instrument (the bass in this case) to three different channels, and play the notes on these channels with the mod wheel as you like. Other options might include editting the sfz file (not recommended) or trying something with the "notation" versions of the instruments.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    One way to do it is assign the same instrument (the bass in this case) to three different channels, and play the notes on these channels with the mod wheel as you like. Other options might include editting the sfz file (not recommended) or trying something with the "notation" versions of the instruments.
    Yeah, I was trying to avoid having to send it to different channels. I understand the point is to ride the mod wheel for the sake of dynamics, but it just sucks that I have to use multiple tracks to pull this off. Things are going to get so cluttered. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by BuildingCastles View Post
    I'm a little confused, or maybe I'm not and GPO simply lacks the type of control I want. I'd like to be able to set the volumes of individual notes on one track rather than all the notes at once. Like, if I'm playing a chord with a bass, I don't want to use the mod wheel to change the volume for all 3 notes - I want to be able to make the lowest note more quiet than the others. Is this possible?
    This question can not be accurately answered without knowing exactly what it is you are wanting to accomplish.

If you are talking about voicing chords of a piano, the velocity of each note in a given chord provides all the control of volume for each note.

If you are talking about instruments in GPO, then there should not be chords, unless you are talking about marimba or other instruments that do indeed play chords. If you have multiple notes in a midi track that should be different players, then it makes perfect sense that you are not able to pull off what you want. There is no room for wanting instant gratification with samples, we are trying to emulate an entire orchestra and all we have is little jigsaw puzzle pieces. We can not be lazy about what it takes to make it sound how we want.

Would you elaborate what you mean when you say.. "if I'm playing a chord with a bass", I assume you mean with a bass note?

If the bass is string basses, then they should be on a separate midi track, and the volume of them should be automated to control the bass note/s separately from the other notes that make up the chord.

Dan

Go Back to forum