• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilian-Memory/64 Bit question

Share/Bookmark

Trilian-Memory/64 Bit question

I have an older Intel MacPro Quad.... early 2007. It only has 2GB of RAM in it. I purchased my copy of Trilian but have yet to install it because of the stated minimum 4GB of RAM needed. I am keen to just load in Trilian and have some fun with it but don't want to if my 2 GB of RAM is going to make it unpleasant with any sorts of problems......I'd rather wait until I can get more Apple Premium memory ( which is seemingly not available any more from Apple. My computer is too old.....).

So..... we were talking about the Trilian minimum recommended 4GB of RAM on another forum and someone said........... "That's strange, a 32 bit OS can't even access 4gb. Is this plug 64 bit?".

I mean I know that Snow Leopard is 64 bit and that the computer is 64 bit so this confused me.......I asked for clarification and this was the reply.........

"64 bit audio processing is compatible with any 32 bit OS while 64 bit memory addressing is only compatible on a 64 bit OS. At the moment, only the 32 bit application is availible to Macs, but it will proccess audio at 64 bit. I wish Spectrasonics were more clear on their 4gb reccomendation because frankly it makes no sense for either Mac or PC. It would only make sense if your running it as a 64 bit app on a 64 bit OS. Anything installed as a 32 bit app simply cannot adress 4gb."

Can anyone comment on it who knows a lot about computer innards architecture?

Also, do do I have to have 4GB installed, or will it run fine with 2?
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Trilian-Memory/64 Bit question

Hi,

Trilian lists 4 GB of ram on their specs because your OS and host requires ram by itself. To full utilize all of the patches and Multi's you will need around 2 GB dedicated for Trilian. You can then have the additional memory for the OS, host, and your other Virtual Instruments. This is why 4 GB is listed to ensure that you will be able to use Trilian completely and have some room for other instruments.

You can still access a large majority of patches with just 2 GB of ram installed. The area will you may run into issues, is when you actually try using the Multi's.
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

Re: Trilian-Memory/64 Bit question

Good answer thanks....makes total sense now.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Go Back to forum