• Register
  • Help

Topic: How is an orchestra mic'd, recorded and mixed?

Share/Bookmark

How is an orchestra mic\'d, recorded and mixed?

As there is an ongoing debate about the \'right way\' to record samples which are intended to be used to emulate an orchestra, in particular \'that big Hollywood sound\', I thought some of us might invite our engineer/producer/composer friends who have experience in this area to contribute their expertise.

To kick things off, from what I\'ve read on these forums, I\'d say that the most contentious issues seem to be:

Micing techniques - What kind of combination of spot mic\'d, overheads and distant mics do you prefer? How much do your setups vary from job to job (assuming most are looking for a big film soundtrack vibe)?

Recording space - Do you get a better sound from a large studio, large hall, or a sound stage? If your first preference is unavailable, what\'s involved in getting a good result from your \'second best\' option?

Ambience - Do we stick to natural room ambience only, no ambience (add artificial verb later), or a combination of both?

Do final sampled instruments need to be able to vary between different degrees of ambience, or is there a common approach with most recordings that would allow the same instrument to cover most compositions? Is it enought to rely on adding reverb \'after the fact\'.

If digital reverb CAN do the job, what would you regard as the premium reverb unit for this application and what would you regard as the \'bottom line\' of acceptable units?

Are there any other important points which sample library developers need to take into account when embarking on this kind of project?

Don\'t forget that:

1. A reply will take about 5-10 minutes of your friend\'s time, and probably be invaluable to a lot of us.

2. This forum is as anonymous as you wish to make it...

Unfortunately, the few engineers I know who could do this would kill me if I woke them up right now

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 09-17-2001).]

Re: How is an orchestra mic\'d, recorded and mixed?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    As there is an ongoing debate about the \'right way\' to record samples which are intended to be used to emulate an orchestra, in particular \'that big Hollywood sound\', I thought some of us might invite our engineer/producer/composer friends who have experience in this area to contribute their expertise.

To kick things of, I\'d say that the most contentious issues seem to be:

Micing techniques - close mic\'d, overheads, distant mics? How much do setups vary between recordings?

Recording space - A large studio, large hall, sound stage?

Ambience - Room ambience only, No ambience (add artificial verb later), a combination of both?

Do sample sets need to be able to vary between different degrees of ambience, or is there a common approach?

Don\'t forget that:

1. A reply will take about 5-10 minutes of your friend\'s time, and probably be invaluable to a lot of us.

2. This forum is as anonymous as you wish to make it...

Unfortunately, the few engineers I know who could do this would kill me if I woke them up right now

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 09-17-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chadwick,

It may also be worth posting your message on some other boards as well such as:

George Massenburg\'s Professional Recording forum at http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Sonic Control\'s Audio recording, production & multimedia and Sample CDs & Sample libraries forums at http://www.soniccontrol.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

ProRec\'s professional recording discussion forum at http://www.prorec.com/prorec/prorecording.nsf/threaded+discussion?openview&count=200

Perhaps also to newsgroups such as rec.audio.pro

Best regards
    Nicholas

Good idea. Done.

Thanks for the URLs Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Good idea. Done.

Thanks for the URLs Nicholas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It\'s a pleasure Chadwick.

By the way, George Massenburg really does reply to some of the posts on his forum!

Best regards
    Nicholas

Go Back to forum