• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Topic: Notion 3

Share/Bookmark

Re: Notion 3

Quote Originally Posted by KylePoehling View Post
    No....sorry to be misleading. We are working towards the "best of both worlds" but not in this particular release
    Thanks your answer. Yes, i guess that the quantize option will be missed for an important part of the users. Even that, the tempo managing of the program appears fantastic and can make the need of quantization not so big.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by KylePoehling View Post
    This is a very interesting idea and I'm sure there is a way to make this work in regards to harmony, but I can't see this working with rhythm...unless the rhythm of the "two versions" were completely independent of one another.
    Exactly. My thought would be to have the rhythm strictly come from the piano roll. In other words, despite the changes we have to make to the duration of the note in the piano roll, the value of the note on the score remains the same unless we change it on the score.

If a relationship is established between the note on the staff and the note on the piano roll you can then define which attributes are shared between the two and which are not. This provides a powerful means of scoring and programming with minimal (if any) additional complexity.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I think I have an idea to solve this problem with independent midi and note rhythm..

If you enter a quarter note in the score, you will also get it in the piano-roll, accurate. But, by edit this midi-note in the pianoroll, you simply set some "off-set" values. In that way, the note, and the midi isn't completly independent, but still different. The note (in the score) should get another color, to make it visible that it is not "quantized". If you move a note from a place to another in the maeasure, the offsets can be keeped. Later you can quantize agian, either the notation, or the pianoroll.

If you move the midi too far away from the note, it sill stop, or maybe move the note also.

If you record in midi, you can quantize the notation, but keep the midi-rythm. (It is also an idea to give a value in percent how accurate you will quantize the pianoroll, to keep a human touch, but a bit more accurate).
    Fred

Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, C&MB, Strad, Gofriller, Kontakt 3

Maybe another way to say what you are describing is this:

Assuming that the score data is kept in XML format, you could create a schema that provides one data value for the score and another for the piano roll. Other data points, such as note name would be shared between the two.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Maybe, but I not sure. To me it sounds like this will get the score and pianoroll quite independent. I think the score and pianoroll (or the new sequencer staff) should be linked together, with a allowed off-set, up to a given point.

I can't so much about XML, but I know a bit of regular databases. If you mean two different tables for the score and the pianoroll, I would rather prefer the same table (and record), but a field for the score (accurate) and and another field for offset (+ or -).
    Fred

Gday,

Why reinvent the wheel, when Notation Composer of http://www.notation.com/ is doing it very comfortably? “Notation Composer” should not be confused with “Notion”.

Notation Composer uses piano roll and strict notation in one file with total freedom for either. The developer Mark Walsen claims that his software delivers the best results for recording from a keyboard to midi, when compared to any other software currently available.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Well, it isn't to reinvent the wheel I think, but to get the program (Notion)better. "Musicator" is antoher program that have score/pianoroll "independent". The problem is that programs miss a lot of other features.

Unfortunately, none notation programs are perfect (yet). Some programs are good in "human playback", other have good methods for input by keyboards or mouse, others is good for tweak midi-information. I should wish I could to put the best feature from each program, and mix it to my own special edition notation program!

At the glance, Notation Composer seems to be too simple for me. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to not support VST-instruments for example.

By the way I see Notation Composer offer a free demo, so maybe I will give them a try.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Gday,

Why reinvent the wheel, when Notation Composer of http://www.notation.com/ is doing it very comfortably? “Notation Composer” should not be confused with “Notion”.

Notation Composer uses piano roll and strict notation in one file with total freedom for either. The developer Mark Walsen claims that his software delivers the best results for recording from a keyboard to midi, when compared to any other software currently available.

Herbert
    Hi Herbert. I take a look to Notation, and indeed, it´s a very interesting program. But people looking at Notion is looking more for a "all-in-one" solution (something that deals with notation/audio/big-sample libraryes/tempo management). Notation appear powerfull in some areas, but it lacks in others, by example, i dont see any support of keyswitches for deal with GPO and that.
    Marcelo Colina

I said above that Notation Composer (at a glance) seems to be too simple for me. After a little more "research" I must admit that it is more advanced than I thougth, with many good features for tweaking CC, velocity etc. But after all, I think it lacks some other features that Notion have.

So the conclusion is as I wrote above: None notation programs are perfect (yet). It is allways something whichs is better in the competitors program.
    Fred

Go Back to forum