• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Which Sequencer and Why?

Share/Bookmark

Which Sequencer and Why?

I don\'t know if this discussion has been brought up yet but I\'ll break the ice:

Between Logic, Cakewalk, and Cubase, which sequencer do you prefer and why? I\'m tryin gto make up my mind but would like input from others\' experiences

Re: Which Sequencer and Why?

My sequencer of choice is Cubase VST. Many moons ago, circa 1987 or so, I was using a program called Pro-24 by Steinberg on the Atari ST platform. In its day it was THE sequencer of choice, an industry standard, and so when I returned to making music a few years later I chose Pro-24\'s successor: Cubase VST for the PC.

And, although I\'ve been using Cubase for a while, there is always something new to learn. It has so many options that I think it would take a lifetime to explore every nuance of the program. For now I\'m happy using the features that I know really well. I mean... who uses \"Logical Edit\" anyway?

I\'ve heard good things about Logic although everyone\'s agreed that it has a steep learning curve.

As for Cakewalk/Sonar, I too would interested in hearing comments from users.

[This message has been edited by Tokyo Joe (edited 09-27-2001).]

Hi,

I use Cubase VST because it is an industry standard and fairly intuitive. Since I have taken the time to get to know it fairly well, there is little incentive to change at the moment. Most of my musical friends also use Cubase, several still on the Atari platform. However, one of my friends uses Logic Audio Platinum on a Mac, and I have found it anything but intuitive when trying to help him with it. Maybe, if I had started using Logic before Cubase I would say the opposite?!

Nicholas

they are all pretty good. For my purposes I give the edge to SONAR for it\'s audio editing/automation implementation

-david abraham

Hmm, I don\'t know many people who could actually compare the major 3 without owning them. Myself, my first choice was Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. It\'s just so easy to use and it works well. I\'ve never felt the need to try anything else. Sonar will be a good upgrade path down the road when the bugs are ironed out.

I am looking for a different sequencer that will allow me to play music from my keyboard, and then save what I played as a MIDI file? It also needs to work with win2k. What should I use?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by esperlad:
    I am looking for a different sequencer that will allow me to play music from my keyboard, and then save what I played as a MIDI file? It also needs to work with win2k. What should I use?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SONAR and Cubase have been pretty reliable for me on Win2k. However it sounds like you are new to computer based sequencing? what computer and MIDI hardware do you have?

-david abraham

Hi
    Its funny - Like TokyoJoe I started of with
    Steinbergs Pro24 on my old Atari, but then
    came along C-Lab with the Notator sequencer, and that was an incredible piece of software for its time. Now C-Lab ended up as Emagic - the creators of Logic !
    So my preference is strongly towards Logic.

It really all comes down to what you\'re going to use it for and what type of person
    you\'re are. For instance: If you\'re a classical trained person who prefer notation and working with scores - Go for Logic, its the most powerfull in this area - Cakewalk on the other hand sucks here.
    If you\'re a person who likes to just get on with it and never gets around to reading manuals - Don\'t buy Logic. You\'ll never get
    to use all the sofisticated stuff.
    Logic is, I think, the most powerfull of them
    all and thus also the more complex. But if
    you invest time in Logic it will pay of.

So what are you going to use it for and
    what type of person are you?

regards
    Bjk

Hey Sapkiller aka Bjk,

Bless you from another Logic user. You\'ve hit the nail on the head, those who appreciate standard notation will find Logic very powerful (I know I do). You may find the Logic Users Group on Yahoo Groups of interest. It has 6,300 members worldwide and is a very busy list, but the mass of expertise there makes it worthwhile. Here\'s a link.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/logic-users

I tried CuBase once (I was able to get a not for resale version for free), but after a bit decided to pony up $250 to upgrade Logic, for me it\'s that much better.

Steve

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Abraham Fenton:
    they are all pretty good. For my purposes I give the edge to SONAR for it\'s audio editing/automation implementation
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with David 100%. For automating GigaStudio parameters, SONAR is quite advanced over Logic or Cubase. It is true that working from notation is not the ideal approach with SONAR. However, if you are a PLAYER, and you are using your sequencer to play, then edit, SONAR is very deep.

You can control ANY GigaStudio parameter with envelopes on MIDI tracks. Extremely powerful for subtle expression--and far advanced over Cakewalk\'s previous ProAudio 9.0.

I believe Cubase and Logic are both good products, and my preference above is strictly about controlling GigaStudio. There may be other factors contributing to a person\'s choice, such as MAC compatibility, file sharing, etc., familiarity--but for sheer control of GigaStudio\'s features, SONAR is probably the app to beat right now.

Go Back to forum