• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample libraries that use 24-bit?

Share/Bookmark

Sample libraries that use 24-bit?

Howdy,

I\'m a new Gigastudio 96 user and just picked up the Topaz drum kit library (which is great for my needs!) I was just wondering about how many sample libraries out there were using 24 bits these days? It\'s tough to tell from alot of the library web site descriptions if they are or not; are there any companies that do 24bit only? (I realize that 24-bit doesn\'t guarantee good quality; for me it would be more convenient since I\'m going to be doing all my acoustic recording in 24 bit) Thanks

AB

Re: Sample libraries that use 24-bit?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AB:
    Howdy,

I\'m a new Gigastudio 96 user and just picked up the Topaz drum kit library (which is great for my needs!) I was just wondering about how many sample libraries out there were using 24 bits these days? It\'s tough to tell from alot of the library web site descriptions if they are or not; are there any companies that do 24bit only? (I realize that 24-bit doesn\'t guarantee good quality; for me it would be more convenient since I\'m going to be doing all my acoustic recording in 24 bit) Thanks

AB
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you seriously going to base your decisions on which libraries to buy on whether or not they are 24 bit?

Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicholash:
    Are you seriously going to base your decisions on which libraries to buy on whether or not they are 24 bit?

Nicholas

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, just curious. Although I am kind of curious if reverse-dithering(?? ie, combining 16 bit sample sounds with 24 bit live recordings) has any negative impact or not. I\'m just a newbie on this stuff so take my ignorance with a grain of salt

Hi AB,

I remember comparing the original 88.2 kHz 24 bit recordings of the Bechstein upright that I and my friend sampled, with the recordings converted to 44.1 kHz 16 bit (with Apogee UV22 processing). I personally didn\'t notice any significant difference in sound quality. However, someone younger with probably better hearing, might perceive things differently. The arithmetic precision of your mixing console/workstation/software is important however: Here\'s a good article to read about precision and dither: http://www.digido.com/ditheressay.html

Best regards
    Nicholas

Go Back to forum